36

Adrian

When I finally spot her, all worry and concern dissolves and my heart picks up like a goddamn teenager. I got off of work, found out Grayson was working late today and decided to surprise visit her only to find out she wasn't home.

Now I'm stood here, because I'm practically a stalker at this point, watching her stand in the middle of a book shop with a bunch of people I don't know that she clearly does know and just happy to see her.

I stalk towards her, ignoring Alex who seems to have put two and two together now.

"Oh no you don't, we're going to have a word!" Alex cuts me off, stepping between me and my girl.

"Move, Harrington" I growl and he doesn't seem the least bit bothered.

"Fuck off, I've just discovered this little rendezvous you two have got going on and if you were smart, you'd let me talk some sense into my best friend" He laughs bitterly and I just roll my eyes.

"Xander!" Emory shoves him out of the way, putting herself in front of me before spinning so that she's now between me and her idiot friend.

"Mo, you're fucking with me right now" he scoffs and she sighs.

"Do I need my shotgun?" The older man across the room says, taking slow and cautious steps towards me.

"No" Emory and the woman behind him say in unison.

Emory turns to me and practically begs me with her eyes, those goddamn doe eyes. My jaw goes tight and she just puts a hand on my upper arm, giving me a squeeze before I let out a long sigh and nod.

She then whirls to face her friend again, no doubt scolding him.

"Later. Please." She begs.

"Later my ass!" He gestures towards me as if he's still trying to comprehend what's happening.

"Alex" the older man then says and he lets out a groan before falling silent.

Who are these people?

"What the hell is going on?" One of the three men standing around the woman asks.

"I think it's none of our business, come one you three, let's finish setting up" the woman shoos.

"After that? Come on, Mama, it's getting good!"

"Drew!" The man says and the three quickly oblige, following the woman to the back room.

"You" the man looks at me and for some reason, I respect him a little.

"Come help me with this table" he nods towards the table across the room.

I let out another scoff, ready to ask him who the hell he thinks he is before he pins me with a look that would make anyone in the world turn and run with their tail between their legs.

"I wouldn't" he shakes his head and I quirk an eyebrow, catching sight of those doe eyes.

"Charles-"

"Mo" he cuts her off and her mouth snaps shut.

A man who's respected enough to silence a room using only a persons name is a man not to be fucked with.