17

Emory

"You okay?" Xander frowns and that's when I know I'm more wrecked than I thought.

I don't know why what my brother said hurt me the way it did.

Because it's true? Because it's been stewing inside of him? I wasn't sure.

I am sure that I've learned to depend on him and yesterday showed that and it was only a matter of time before he got sick of it. He's got a kid now, that should be his focus.

I'm an adult. I can handle my own father for Christ sake.

"Yeah, yeah. I ran into my dad yesterday" I wave a hand like it's no big deal even though it is and my best friend knows it.

"I'll take that as a no" he sighs and waves our waitress over with that boyish grin of his.

"Hi, what can I get for you?" She blushes and I have to turn my head to roll my eyes.

"A chocolate milkshake please, extra whip if you can, gorgeous" he beams at her and she's practically mush now.

"Coming right up" she smiles and is on her merry little way.

Xander couldn't stand the sight of me in the kitchen again and dragged me to our favorite restaurant where the food is alright but the desserts are immaculate.

We've tried every pie, milkshake and ice cream they've got and they just get better.

"Want to go out? I know you want to go out. We're going out. No more baking, reading or crying. Let's go to Happy's" Xander babbles.

He's had one too many milkshakes.

"No, because every time we go to Happy's you invite those weirdos you work with and I can't stand to hang out with the 3 of you all together for longer than 10 minutes" I glare.

Bennett and Wes.

And I really mean weirdo. Just the one. I quite like Wes.

Xanders coworkers and newly found friends for the last year. Bennett was cool in the beginning, nice guy, until he tried to cop a feel once when we were all out. Xander nearly broke his jaw before he made him apologize and the next day they were old pals again, calling it a misunderstanding.

Men.

Then there's Wes, who is my favorite of the two but not necessarily the bravest which makes me feel bad for him. I think Bennett drags him around as his own personal yes man. Sweet guy though and when he drinks he turns into such a fun time.

"They really like you, Mo" Xander shrugs, winking at the waitress when she returns with his milkshake.

"I'm very aware of Bennetts creepy fascination with me, which is why I don't want to go" I roll my eyes.

Xander slides the milkshake to me and I should've known it was for me. I happily accept the drink and take a sip, my best friend pinning me with a look that makes me bat my eyes all innocently.

"Mo"

"What? It's true and you nearly killed him once for it. I don't even get how you can stand him, he's such a prick" I shake my head.