22

Emory

"Are we good?" My brother asks when I help him carry the food over to the table, Theo entertaining Addie and Adrian in the living room, Xander and Mom setting the table with everyone's plates.

"What?" My eyebrows knitting together.

"You've been distracted since you got here, what's going on?" He frowns as he sets down the pans of food in the middle of the table and I set down the sides.

Oh, just your best friend telling me that he actually doesn't hate me after all and that he wants me. Whatever the hell that means, no big deal.

"Nothing" I shrug.

"Mo" he frowns and I let out a laugh.

"I'm serious" I'm not but I'm a great liar when it comes to my siblings.

"Are we good?" He repeats when it's just us alone in the kitchen.

"Yeah, why wouldn't we be?" I frown now, not understanding where he'd get the idea that we aren't.

"I'm sorry" he sighs and engulfs me in a hug. I'm frozen, trying to understand before I'm wrapping my arms around him, knowing he needs it more than I do.

"For what, Gray? What's going on?" I rub his back and he just hugs me tighter.

"Bee, I didn't mean that shit I said the other day" he explains and then I relax, letting out a soft laugh.

"Gray, I told your little buffer that it's okay. We both were upset" I murmur softly.

"No, I shouldn't have said it. I was frustrated that I didn't know, that you've been dealing with this alone and I just threw it back in your face. I shouldn't have and I'm sorry. I love you, Mo" he apologizes and I think I might cry.

"It's okay" I try to assure myself more than anyone.

"I love you, too" I tell him and he presses a kiss to the top of my head.

"And you are worth it damnit. Please don't ever say that shit about yourself again" he frowns, squishing my cheeks together.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, my words coming out muffled because of how he's squishing my face.

"Just promise you won't say that shit to me again, Mo, I nearly collapsed when I heard that come out of your mouth" my brother begs and I just nod my head that's still being cradled in his hands.

"O-okay..I promise" I tell him earning another bone crushing hug.

Christ, what did I say the other night?

"You're meeting him, aren't you?" He suddenly asks and I can't even answer because when it comes to my father, I'm weak and all I see in the rest of my family is disappointment.

"Where?" He asks.

"I've got it, Gray" I assure him, trying to wave it off like no big deal.

Lots of no big deals lately.

"That isn't what I asked, Emory" his gaze hardens and I let out an exhausted sigh, not wanting to start a fight.