no matter where I go (this is no home)

[Name] looks up from their paper at the tall building in front of them. They are hoping they have the right place as they tend to get lost and are too anxious to ask others for directions. Especially since they do not have any of their friends with them to help them.

In some sense, they have thought Mirko wanting to take them as an intern was a fever dream. They didn't think the number five hero would want them as an intern. The only reason they chose Mirko is to hone their fighting capabilities and improve their fighting style. They need more experience fighting. It makes sense when their cards are more fighter-based.

Actually, the most surprising one is Endeavor. After that disaster of a conversation, they didn't expect him to put in an offer. It is probably to get them close to Todoroki.

"Oof," a small voice said. [Name] looks down to see a little girl with silver hair and a horn, bumping into their leg. They internally melt at the cuteness radiating from the girl. However, they noticed the bandages wrapped around the girl's neck and the tattered clothes hanging off her body. Their eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"Hi," they said in a soothing voice. They bend down to be in the eye view of the girl. The girl flinches at them as if she expects them to hit her.

[Name] didn't say anything, but they knew this child came from a bad place.

"My name is [Name]," they gave her a small smile, hoping to ease her worries, "what is your name?"

"E-Eri.." She whispers but they can hear it. It is a good thing Mirko wanted to meet them later, and they came earlier to check out the city.

"Hi, Eri are you here by yourself?"

Eri gains a scared look.

"Don't let them find me!" She cries out in fear. Them?

[Name] eyes widen, whoever is abusing her must be really bad. They hold out their hand gesturing for her to reach out.

"Don't worry," [Name] assured her. "How about we get some ice cream instead?" They point at the ice cream parlor down the road. It's a big red and white sign screaming Scoops Ahoy.

Eri looks towards the building and after a couple of moments nods. She couldn't deny her curiosity about what ice cream is. The only reason she is even going with the soon-to-be intern is that they are the first person to actually look at her, not look at her and think a hero will save her instead.

That is another flaw in society, when seeing a person in need like Eri, people think 'Oh a hero will save her' when in reality, that doesn't happen as often. It doesn't happen at all in poor places in Japan. These are spots Heroes would never go to as the media avoid those places as it isn't newsworthy. Japan is practically in the top 20 countries to have the highest child poverty.

Child poverty became worse once quirks came into play in society. Your quirk defines where you will be in the social class. A well-powered quirk is immediately pushed to become a hero. A mediocre quirk is pushed to do white-collar jobs. Useless quirks are pushed into jobs no one wants. And then there are the villainous quirks that are pushed to fit the heroes' narrative and become criminals.

[Name] smiles at Eri, and stretches out their hand, "Come on then."

Eri looks at their hand and slowly clasps her tiny hand into [Name]'s. She couldn't help but notice the size difference. It didn't feel like the ones who do terrible things to her, it felt warm. Standing up, the pair walks down the street into Scoops Ahoy. Apparently, this ice cream parlor is taking inspiration from Strangers Things from many years ago.

The U.A. student allowed Eri to push the glass door open. They watch in slight fondness as Eri looks around in amazement. [Name] couldn't deny Eri is slightly growing on them. The pair walks into a vintage-style ice cream shop, with a nautical theme. The interior is decorated with seafaring accents such as ropes and anchors, and the walls are lined with various flavors of ice cream in glass cases. The shop features a counter where customers can order and a seating area where they can enjoy their treats.