11. here we go

The garden is easy enough, Mary dragging me with her to handle the morning picks before she heads into the office, "Are you okay?"

The hangover is real, my head pounding against my skull in an aggressive manor. If Mary didn't have an extra pair of sunnies, I would be forced to stay inside for the next week, "Oh just dying inside while picking some tomatoes."

"Have you..." She wiggles her eyebrows trying to make this conversation more girlish. I want to gag myself at the thought, my face most likely an indication of such by the way she deflates, "Ah, sorry."

"As the warrior, how much of what we talk about do you have to tell him?"

"Technically nothing. You're the Luna, and if you command me not to speak to him then that's just as powerful as him telling me to do something. However, if you are planning on telling me your suicide plan, then my wolf would go against you to alert someone, as your safety is always the first priority."

I snip at another stem tossing the tomato into the brown sack I was handed. Guards surround the garden evenly, if I was to run they would have me within moments, "I guess that's fine."

"Do you need to talk about anything?" She tosses a couple more tomatoes in her bag, I look around the garden at the men's backs flattening my lips, "We stand right in the middle, just far enough away. I would be able to hear them talk amongst themselves if they could hear us."

"I want to go home, Mary. I want my life back."

She sighs, setting her bag on the ground. Her footsteps are heavy as she treks through the plants pulling me into a tight hug. My heart skips a beat, the friendly comfort warming the ice I had surrounding my heart, "We don't hug." I whisper, misunderstanding her intentions.

"I wish we had sooner." She grumbles pulling me in tighter, "I love you, Cherry. Sitting next to you in the office was the best thing that happened to me. Your humanity kept me sane when things around here got insane."

"Would you have turned me over if you knew?" I pull away from her setting my bag on the ground as well watching a tomato roll out into the dirt.

"The friend in me says no, but the wolf would. It's complicated. He's meant to be your everything, and the animal in me would want you to be happy instead of abused by some fucker." She takes a deep breath, "But since I am the wolf, the animal, then yes, I would."

"At least you're honest." I pinch the bridge of my nose between my dirt covered fingers. Mary checks her watch, eyes going big.

"I have to go." She bites her lip, "I'm sorry, Cherry. I'll be around if you still want to be... well around."

She takes our tomatoes running to the side of the garden, I stand in one place watching the men around me stay still. Their shoulders are set, no weapon in hand, but I know that these men are more dangerous than any gun.

I walk myself to the edge, the men turning to greet me, "Luna, are you ready to return to the pack house?"

"Is there anything else we can do?" My voice is weak, defeated.

"The doctor has requested an appointment with you. Would you feel comfortable, Luna, meeting with him?" The male on the right speaks nicely, his voice is slow and concise with a warm gaze.

"It's better than going back to the room."

The man gives a sad smile, nodding. I follow close behind him while he guides me around the pathways that cut through the forest. Soon enough, a small building with a smiling Sanders comes into view, "Thank you for bringing her Jamal. I'll take it from here."