15. oh, this is nice.

The restaurant is far nicer than any place I have ever stepped into. My sushi usually comes in a plastic container from the local grocery store after forcing myself to buy overpriced produce. We walk up to the host, his eyes scrunching together with his large smile. My brain tells me to lie about needing the bathroom, then book it as far as I can, but looking at the soft smile of Levi and his comforting eyes... I can't leave just yet.

"Scarlett." Levi informs the host, he nods leading us to a back room with a private set up.

"Enjoy, Mr. and Mrs. Scarlett. Thank you for choosing us tonight." He sets the black menus on the table running off. I laugh to myself letting Levi pull the chair out for me.

"Do you have a favorite roll?" He starts off the interview, I peer over the menu trying to decide between a couple.

"Philadelphia has always been my favorite, but a rainbow roll comes in close second." I mumble in return looking for something new to try. Levi uses a chop stick to lower the menu stopping me from using as a physical barricade between us.

"You seem a little different, everything okay?"

"How so?"

"You haven't told me you hate me yet, or to die, or burn, or..." He starts ticking them off on his fingers, I laugh at him.

"Alright, alright. I get it." I pick a random dinner sushi entrée, four rolls I've never heard of, "I might hate you a little less."

"You might?" He smirks, those gorgeous blue eyes showing mischief.

"Okay, I do."

He smiles to himself leaning back in his chair. I take in his built figure, the way his tattoos come over his collar, and his strong jaw that looks as though it could cut paper. I'm way to ordinary to be next to him, my belly not perfectly toned, cellulite covering my back end, even my hair frizzes to much from over brushing and stress.

"Welcome Scarletts, my name is Heidi, and I will be your server this evening. Can I start you off with anything to drink?"

"A water, please."

Levi's face is stoic looking at the waitress, "Make that two and an order of gyoza."

"Of course, sir, madam. I'll return momentarily."

Heidi runs off much like the host did, an eager pep in their step. I try to shrug it off, but minor spouts of anger from earlier still linger in my system.

"Do you think you could ever love me?" Levi drops the bomb like it's nothing, a simple conversation two people have over coffee on a Sunday brunch. However, this is neither Sunday, nor brunch.

"I... uh?"

Heidi, oh thank the stars, "Here are those waters, ready to order?"

"Entrée three please, extra ginger." I rattle off, Levi following with his. The server gives us another stunning smile leaving us to our own devices. Levi keeps his focus on me waiting for my response.

The bond cracks between us, this complicated tether that I can't seem to break that tightens its hold around my heart day-by-day. Sooner or later, I know I'll give in, just being on my best behavior today shows that, but love?

"If I'm honest, I don't know. I gave my heart away to the wrong man, now I am a shrivel woman compared to who I used to be. Now all I desire is freedom and a good martini." He doesn't seem phased with my response, but something in my heart tells me internally that I have hurt him.