37. sushi

"Sushi?" I almost moan at the trays that are laid out before us. Levi smiles at me, a real smile. One that sends my heart into a swimming mess, "I love sushi."

"I had the chef run out and grab as much as he could find to feed us. I got all your favorite rolls." He seems shy when he slides over a tray just for me, "Here, I put them together for you."

I take the chop sticks from him and blush. Mary grabs the tray leading me over to a long table that's set just for us. I hobble over, everyone following with their own. Conversation with everyone is easy, I am sat right next to Levi, Mary two seats down. Jackson and Tiki are across from us mimicking the seats of Mary and James, "So wait you guys did what?" I moan over my shrimp roll. Levi watches me with kind eyes as I shovel my face. My appetite is huge. The men seem to wait for us ladies to eat our fill, and once my tray is gone, then Levi eats.

"The fish asked for it okay? I literally wanted a snack, it's tail hit my snout, so I hunted it and all of its offspring in the lake." Jackson mumbles shoving sushi into his mouth. Tiki laughs from beside him stealing one of his rolls, he fakes sadness but then offers her another. She shakes her head, but he persists until she finally rolls her eyes and takes the small piece. Her grin is huge when she ate the sushi, something I find funny.

"And I was just there begging him to not rid the lake of fish. They bring in the bear, which are much tastier." Mary laughs looking over the men that all nod in agreement.

"I hope we get a bear this year, those roasts are something I dream about." I look to James who is picking through his rolls for the one's with cream cheese first.

"So how long have you two been together?" I point my chop sticks at Mary and James. They both go wide eyed looking between each other and then back at me.

"Um... long enough I suppose. I can't even remember." Mary laughs in a weird way, James nodding slowly.

"Yeah so long. Can't even remember how we got together. On that note." He shovels that last of his sushi in his mouth racking the last bits off with his chop sticks, "I am taking her to bed."

Jackson does the same grabbing Tiki to throw her over his shoulder, "Yep! Have a great time."

"Oh..." I reach my hand out for them, but they've all left. Levi finishes up his tray as well dropping his chopsticks onto the table set up, "Well I suppose that leaves me with you?"

"If you're alright with that." He whispers to me. He reaches into his pocket for a moment drawing out a necklace, "This is yours, I took it off for you and figured now was a good time to give it back."

It's a beautiful diamond necklace with an engraving on the side, I slip it onto my neck with a grin, "Well thank you!"

"Anything for you." He mumbles. Someone runs in and starts cleaning off the table. I watch them run quickly between us snagging the plates. He shifts uncomfortably before standing and holding out his hand, "Would you like me to guide you back to our room?"

"Our room?" I whisper looking around, "I suppose that would be fine. I have many things to discuss with you."

"Yes, I suppose we do have some things to talk about." I give him my hand. The sparks shock me back my heart going into fifth gear. He forces a sad smile but keeps his hand out-held for me. I reach back out and wrap my hand around his letting the warmth spread over my skin. Levi guides me up the stairs and into his -our- bedroom.

"Do you plan to just tell me, or do I have to ask?" I place my hand on my hip and toss it to the side as soon as the door closes. Levi tilts his head at me trying to figure me out, "Staring at something in particular?"

"You, I suppose. You're much different without the last six years of your life." He mumbles. He leads me to the table that sits along one wall. I fondle with the necklace that hangs around my neck for comfort.

"I mean, I guess so? I wouldn't know. I just kind of do what I want when I want right now. Or then. Sorry, brain is funky." I push my hand into my forehead as a reminder. It's a jolting experience to remember going to bed after studying for an exam then waking up this absolute hunk of man telling me we're together and missing a limb.

"I get it. It's okay." He reaches out his hand again to hold mine, but then retracts when he realizes what he's doing, "I'll tell you what you need to know without breaking your brain. Sanders warned me that I can't tell you too much or you might go... well the simplest words are crazy."

"Okay. Tell me the important things. Like maybe how I lost a leg?" I lean in placing my hands under my chin. He laughs at my eagerness leaning in as well. His scent surrounds me, calling me to him. If I wasn't absolutely confused on everything I'd take him to that bed and show him just how handsome he is.

"First and foremost I can hear what you're thinking." He gives me a wink, "Thank you, by the way. I wouldn't mind."

My cheeks turn a deep red nostrils flaring at the invite, "Oh. I wish I'd known that sooner."

"That's why we're here right? We met in a bar. You were drinking with Cherry to get away from your husband. He... didn't treat you well."

"I thought I'm with you?" I didn't mean to interrupt, but that was the last thing I expected. Me? Married? I vowed to wait till thirty.

"You are, but you ended up getting a rather messy divorce after we met. You didn't like me when I first found you. As you should assume, we are werewolves. We have another half to our souls, and you are mine. When I found you in the bar I kidnapped you and brought you here. It wasn't until four days ago that we made love for the first time."

Kidnapped, "I slept with someone that took me? And Mary let this happen?" Not that I really know her character.

"I know it's complicated, but it's the truth. The necklace you're wearing is a gift from me. Five days ago I showed you the house I built for us, and something just clicked. Sanders informed me the best way to handle this is to avoid secrets, but that's really all I should tell you tonight."

"And my leg?"

"You lost it in a fight, to a bullet. We couldn't save it. A prosthetic is being made up for your human and wolf form." The words seemed pained as they leave him. He chokes getting it out hitting his chest at the end to pretend cough. I hadn't expect him to get so emotional, "And I know it doesn't mean much, but whatever it does mean I want to say I'm sorry. Sorry for not being able to protect you, for allowing you to feel the need to sacrifice yourself."

"With reference to the me you know, and the me that doesn't know, it's okay. If I know anything about myself at all, that means I really loved you." Levi sucks in a breath. I can tell I said something crazy, but I don't know what, "Did I say something wrong?"

"No not at all. I love you very much, I hope you heal and recover those memories." He whispers.

"I suppose I love you too? Right? I don't know what I'm supposed to do right now." I slap my forehead. Levi grabs my wrist pulling my hand from my head meeting my eyes.

"The mark on your neck is like a wolf marriage, it's a mark that claims you as mine and mine alone. To the pack I'm your husband and mate. I want you to know I take that very seriously, and if you need anything at all I'm here for you. Tonight you can have the bed, I'll take the floor."

"Did we not share a bed?"

"We did, however... I feel as though I need to do better this time around. I was rough with you the first time and I regret that very much." Levi sighs standing up from the chair, "I'll leave so you can change. Your clothes are in the closet. Feel free to wear whatever. I'll be back in half an hour."

"Thank you... Levi." I mumble holding my palms up over the table. I can't place why there's a need to cradle him close, but I fight it.

"Anything for you, my love."