34. a strangers goodwill

They left me to starve in the cell. Another man comes into the area to make sure I don't fall asleep charged with spraying me with water any time I try to fall into the peaceful world. He doesn't seem happy to be doing it, but he does it well. The gashes on my foot are finally drying up. I thank anyone that can hear me for my wound not pouring over the cement floor, but intrusive thoughts also beg me to rip it open and just let it bleed until I can't handle it.

"You're a fighter, aren't you?" The guard groans laying another spray of water over me. I spit it onto the floor cursing only to myself.

"Or you won't let me give up." I tap my finger on the concrete trying to distract myself from his heavy stare.

"I used to be a part of Levi's pack." The comment is nonchalant. I force my up to look at him. The stare is still very prevalent, but it seems more curious than it does anything else.

"Used to? What happened?"

"My names James. I was kicked when my friends and I ran onto another packs land without permission. We destroyed as much as we could thinking it was 'pack spirit' but it just ended us a permanent role as a lonely wolf begging for food." He seems reflective of himself, so I keep quiet, "Levi did the right thing. What we did could start wars for other packs. I don't hate 'em."

"And what does that mean for me, you're still holding the water hose and forcing me to stay awake." I use my good arm to slide myself against the wall. My other arm is just décor at this point from my hand and elbow being shattered to nothing.

"I'm sorry." He rubs the back of his head with a free hand, "I want to apologize to you. I don't believe you deserve this. We all knew how Darrel treated his wife; Levi was meant to be your happy ending."

"What do I do with that? Right now, I'm not feeling the sorry." Why am I being so mean to someone that trying to be nice? Is this my inner bitch that doesn't know how to calm down.

"That's very Luna of you." He laughs to himself dropping the water hose, "I want to help you, but I was waiting for the security detail to leave for the night. I'm, sadly, a trusted rogue. Good at my job."

"It's not sad when you decide to do something good with it." I look around the blank room. My cell and a door with a small table of tools sit between us, "Do you have a plan?"

"Levi should be here within the hour. It was rather heartwarming to see how fast the pack came together to come get you. I know a way out; we can get somewhere safe while he handles the others." He seems trustworthy, someone I could lean on for any fears I might have. However, trusting some random has never been something on my bucket list.

"Will you stop spraying me with water?"

"Will you stop falling asleep?"

I growl my best human growl, "I thought we were working together here, and the first step is to stop spraying me with water."

"You can barely keep your eyes open. I need you alert Luna. I know the pain is overwhelming, but if anyone can stay awake it's you." His voice is calming, a genuine emotion coming from him as I lay broken in the cell.

"Fine, but I swear once I'm back to my pack I'll fucking drown you just so I can feel better." My good hand points threateningly at him, his face a beautiful blur of hope, "I can't believe I'm in this situation."

"And how did you get here? Someone like you isn't really their type. Besides being... his mate and all."

"I was married to their oldest son. Had no idea he was a mafia prince. Darrel took a more physical approach in our marriage demanding that I stay with him so his parents can give him the inheritance. I was stuck until I pissed him off to get drunk at a bar with a coworker. Levi found me and carried my absolutely plastered ass to his pack. Now here we are, my mate's killed their son and they want to marry off to the next abusive fucker."

"Some story. Almost tops me being a rogue. And how do you feel now? Ya know. Just... stuck."

"What do you mean?" James rubs the back of his neck looking around the room before rephrasing.

"A mate is almost like it's own ball and chain. Someone the goddess has stuck you to for the rest of your life. After getting away from Darrel, are you truly happy with Levi?"

Good question, "At first no. I wanted out and I mean I gave him hell. Bitch is the better term to describe me, but then he just kept being nice. He protected me, Mary was always there, and I don't know when it happened, but suddenly enough, I was somehow falling in love with him." My heart breaks a little at the thought of his sweet kisses.

"Can I be honest with you?"

My eyebrows raise, "Of course."

"I'm terrified to meet my mate. Out of this world scared. The idea that my wolf is going to go belly up for her and submit... That's a terrifying thought." He shivers behind the bars dropping the hose to his ankles.

"How so?"

"It's a known fact that men, or the more dominant depending on the couple, are more in tune with the mate bond than the female, submissive, counterpart. As the man, and I am not a submissive, my emotions will be heightened. All I'll think about is this woman!"

I laugh at his frantic state. He seems genuinely terrified at the thought, "A week ago I would've agreed with you. But now? I promise James, she's worth it."

"I thought it was you at first, before they told me the details."

"Oh?" I try to shift, but the searing pain stops me, "How would that be? Can you have more than one mate?"

"No, never actually. Second chances are a humans fairy tale. You have a scent on you that just... it entices me beyond words but it's not you."

"I wouldn't know- wait!" I get a face splitting grin across my face ready to continue the conversation, but he holds up a finger stopping me.

"The guards have moved, it's now or never." 

.

.

.

.