masterpiece | devin booker

part two to muse
(this has been rewritten - it was originally 'work of art')
-

the sounds of kehlani's footsteps featuring musiq soulchild could be heard throughout drue's apartment as she swept her hardwood floors.

she felt her phone vibrating in the pocket of her sweatpants, making her furrow her eyebrows in confusion.

she sit the broom against the wall before grabbing her phone. smiling at whose name was on the screen, she went to pause the song and answered.

"hello?"

"hey drue. how are you?" devin's deep voice rang through her ear, giving her chills.

"i'm good. how are you devin?" she couldn't help but smile. the two of them had hit it off after meeting in the museum and had gone out a few times.

it was safe to say that drue had grown to like the nba player. "i'm alright. you busy right now?" he asked.

"no. what's up?"

"i wanna take you somewhere." he tapped his fingers against the arm of his couch, hoping she'd say yes.

"somewhere like where?"

"i can't tell you that." he chuckled as her face scrunched up in confusion.

"i'm trusting that you won't kill me." she chuckled and leaned against her island.

"i am not going to harm you in any way i promise." devin genuinely spoke as drue nodded.

"okay. is there a dress code?"

"just don't wear white." he explained, laughing at how odd his statement sounded.

"alright then." she furrowed her eyebrows, a little skeptical of where he was planning on taking her.

"can you be ready in the next thirty minutes?"

"i can." she glanced over at the clock on her wall, questioning if she could actually get ready in thirty minutes.

"great. i'll see you soon." he smiled and hung up the phone, going to put on his shoes.

immediately running into her closet, she picked out a cropped grey sweater and a pair of high waisted flared jeans, tying it off with a belt and black dr. martens jadon platform boots (in the mm).

once she did a light makeup look and a blowout on her newly cut hair, she finished off the outfit with her daily jewelry.

spraying some perfume on her body, a knock could be heard on her door. she quickly grabbed her bag and walked towards her front door.

"hi." she opened the door and was greeted with a lively looking devin.

"hey. you look beautiful." devin smiled and shamelessly looked her up and down, taking in her beauty.

"thank you. i like this outfit." she smirked and nodded her head, finding the beanie he was wearing very cute (outfit in the mm).

"thank you. you ready?" he held out a hand for her to take and she did so happily before speaking, "as i'll ever be."

the two of them got in devin's car and drove into the downtown area of the city. pulling up to a place drue had never been before, they got out of the car.

"oh you're such a gentleman." drue smirked as he held open the door for her and watched her walk into the building.

"i try." he chuckled and playfully bowed, making her smile.

"hi! welcome to phoenix's paint and sip class. i'm your host for the night, salem and will it just be the two of you?" the hostess, salem, happily greeted the two of them.

"yes."

"great! follow me!" she happily spoke and lead them towards two empty seats.

a blank canvas along with an assortment of paint and brushes were laid out perfectly in front of them.

"i'm upset that i've never been here before." drue sat her bag down and sighed, getting comfortable in her seat.

"there's a first time for everything." devin shrugged and slid the sleeves of his sweatshirt up his arms.

"i take it you've been working on your painting skills?" she grabbed a claw clip and put her hair in half up half down style so it wouldn't be in the way.

"of course i have. i've got an amazing artist to impress." he smirked and looked at her, making her smile.

"you're just trying to butter me up booker." she waved him off and rolled up her sleeves.

"i'm serious drue. even my mom loves your art."

"you're talking about me to your mama?" her eyebrows raised in shock as a smile graced her face.

"sometimes..." he trailed off and took a sip of the champagne on the table.

"i feel honored." she dramatically placed a hand over her heart and swooning, making him laugh.

"she likes the one you made of me the most though."

"i think that's my new favorite too." she put on some hand sanitizer on her hands, making sure her hands were clean.

"cause i'm in it?" devin winked and placed a hand on her thigh, squeezing it gently.

"definitely." she laughed and nodded before looking down at the supplies to avoid the blush forming on her cheeks.

——————————————————————

"alright! please put your finishing touches on your beautiful pieces of art and place your brushes in the cup of water to your right." salem yelled out to all of the guests.

"that's the wine glass pretty girl." devin chuckled and grabbed drue's hand that was about to place paint covered brushes into her glass of wine.

"oops! my bad." she giggled and placed the brushes in the correct glass. she had taken the sip part of the class very seriously and was now tipsy.

"it's okay. are you done?" he looked at her now fully painted canvas, which had a beautiful sunset on it.

"mhm! doesn't it look so pretty?" she smiled and carefully grabbed it off the easel, showing it off to him.

"it does. what do you think of mine?"

"it's actually really good!" she clapped her hands together for him and grabbed her bag. "yeah?" he looked at her with admiring eyes as she turned around.

"mhm! it's a masterpiece." she winked and stood to her feet as he laughed.

"well thank you." he smiled and grabbed his canvas before grabbing her hand, walking out of the building.

"are you hungry? cause i am." she huffed as she got in the car, sitting down in the passenger seat.

"what do you want to eat?" devin asked once he got in the car, putting on his seatbelt.

"honestly...wingstop is calling my name."

"you want to get it delivered or go sit down and eat?" he started his car and grabbed his phone out of his pocket.

"delivered. not in the mood to see anymore people today." she sat back in the seat and looked over at devin, admiring his side profile.

"you still in the mood to see me?" he glanced over at her, biting his lip.

"i'm always in the mood to see you." she wrapped an arm around his and laid her head on his shoulder.

"oh really?" he looked down at her as she nodded and smiled like a kid before saying, "mhm."

"let's get you your wings and some water." he leaned down and placed a kiss on her forehead, putting the car in reverse.

"whatever you say babe." drue squeezed his arm as he smiled, backing out of the parking lot and heading to her apartment.

-
hi there!
i kept thinking about rewriting this and inspiration struck at two in the morning and here we are!

i hope you liked this one!

love u mean it byeeeeee <3