Chapter 3

Josephine

After our late night I decided instead of going to the studio I could go to my favorite coffee shop and write a bit. I have a few emails from some big artist asking if I can come up with something for their song, musically not lyrically but it's still a big deal for me. I bite my lip to hold back the loud squeal begging to be let out.

Niall Horan: Hey Josephine, I've heard a few of your drum beats and I was hoping I could interest you in adding some in my newest song. It's still under wraps but I can send you a demo and see what you come up with. All the best, Niall.

I email him back, Hey Niall, wow this is huge. I'd love to!  Just send me a demo of your new song and I'll see what I can come up with. I look forward to working with you. Love, Josephine.

I click send and bury my face into my hands to hide the cheesiest smile my face is displaying. I take a sip of my iced coffee, and look up from my computer. Worst timing in the universe.

I'm staring into the side of #86's head. I take a deep breath and  keep my head down to continue working. I'm sure I'm red in the face from just looking at him but I try to keep my composure. I start typing out anything, to anyone. I just need to distract myself.

He grabs his coffee and sits at the table across from me, grabbing his phone as he sits down. I grab my phone and start playing some music, quiet enough to still be aware of my surroundings, but loud enough to invade my thoughts of him.

I get lost in 'In My Life' by The Beatles, reminding me of a much simpler time. When I first heard this song I was very young and was infatuated with George Harrison. Little me had good taste, what can I say? But it was Christine McVie that inspired me to pursue music as a career. When I lost sight of my passion I would turn on 'Songbird' by Fleetwood Mac, and remember why I love music.

I listen to a track another artist had sent me with my eyes closed, resting my head on the wall. The girl's voice is so soft and delicate, it's beautiful. I lift my head opening my eyes trying to focus them, but end up focusing on a pair of blue eyes that are staring back at me. I look away subtly, but he holds his stare. You'd think he'd look away because he was just caught but no. I pretend like the staring felt indifferent to me, and continue working.

"Were you at the game yesterday?" He speaks up, thank god my music wasn't loud enough to not hear his question.

I pull an earphone and say, "The devils' game?" I ask, coyly, pretending like I wasn't staring at him the entire game.

He nods his head, "Yeah I was there with my friend." I respond back to him as he nods again.

"Hmm, thought I recognized your face, and bomber jacket." He smirks again, before getting up and sitting across from me. That damn smirk, fuck that "God gives his toughest battles to the strongest soldiers." logic. I'm weak.

"Is that so? When did you see me?" I push my lips to the side to hide my smile. He tilts his head to the side and gives me a look that just screams 'don't be coy'. I do a good job of hiding my smile, by biting my cheeks.

"On the ice, on the bench, walking to my car. Couldn't escape you." He lists on his finger, flirting with me, he's too good at this, make him stop. "Jack." He says, extending a hand towards me.

I take his hand in mine and reply with, "Josephine." We shake hands and I close my computer taking off my other earbud. "Center?" I ask, holding eye contact pretty well.

"Yeah, 86 on the ice." He responds, furrowing his eyebrows at my usage of terminology.

"Oh you scored yesterday, assisted by Hischier and Wood, right?" He nods again, with a smile. "Good job, it was a great shot." I add making his eyes slightly squint. He bites his bottom lip trying to hide a smile, but failing.