Chapter 12

Josephine

The minute I woke up I made sure to text dad and Theo, letting them know I wasn't feeling well, and wouldn't be showing up today. Dad sent back a sweet message telling me to get better while Theo just called me. I hit the answer button and turn the call on speaker.

"Hey." He says softly. "Hi Ted," I say with a raspy morning voice. He doesn't say anything for a minute so I call out his name. "Theo?" He 'uhhs' into the phone before finally asking, "Am I why you didn't show up today?" My older sister heart breaks to think he's why I'm not feeling well.

"No Ted, I just feel a bit anxious and would be better off staying in and getting better," I explain to him. "Oh okay, will you let me know if you need anything?" I know I was upset with him yesterday but he can be the sweetest kid to exist it tears my heart apart. 

"Yeah I will, I love you." I remind him before hanging up and drinking a glass of water to soothe the sore throat I brought on myself. I throw on some comfy clothes and get back in bed. 

Around 4:00 Theo comes to my room and gets in bed with me telling me about his day. "Dad had a blast, he was smiling from ear to ear it was adorable." It makes me happy that even though dad isn't in the NHL anymore he still gets to participate in these things. 

"Jack asked about you." He says gently not trying to upset me just let me know. "Did he?" I ask. "Yeah, I told him you weren't feeling good, and he got worried. I told him to give you a day, and he agreed." He tells me, making me appreciative of my baby brother.

"Did he and dad talk at all?" I ask, nervous about the answer. He shakes his head, before ordering some room service for me. "No, they didn't get the chance, but you need to eat." He adds, knowing fully well after a panic attack my social anxiety skyrocket. 

 After a few cartoons and a meal, he kisses my head and says goodnight. "Call me if you need anything, Jos." He smiles and closes the door behind him. 

Tomorrow will be better. I promise myself in hopes I call pull myself out of bed tomorrow. 

When I wake up the next day the anxious feeling isn't completely gone, but it's settled. I get up from my bed, getting ready to take a shower, and feel like a brand new person. I comb my hair and get started on my makeup before putting on an outfit. 

Once I'm all dressed up I walk out to meet Theo in the hallway, he wraps an arm around my shoulders, asking how I'm feeling today, as we step onto the elevator. "Better," I answer and find Dad in the lobby, offering him a hug. 

"Glad you're feeling better hon," He smiles, walking us to the car that'll take us to the event. We make nice small talk on the way there, my anxiety bubbling at the thought of being around so many people. I'm going to need a drink. 

When we arrive, my dad is the first to step out, then us. I take a deep breath before putting on my best face. "Hold onto my arm, yeah?" Theo says, softly. I nod my head glad to have a brother that is so attentive to notice all the signs.

We walk the small carpet, stopping for a few photos while Dad stops for a few interviews. Theo and I hurry inside in hopes of keeping me calm. I pop my fingers and pull away from Theo to quickly find a bar to get at least one drink in me. 

He follows, taking a seat at one of the tables, while I get my drink. Once my drink gets handed to me I offer Theo a sip and down the rest. "Easy Lee," Nico says as he enters the room. I give him a look, causing him to raise his hands in surrender. "Good to see you, Theo." He gets my little brother a bro hug, before taking a seat with us.

While Theo and Nico make conversation I hear a rather loud group of boys walk past the room. I look to see where it's coming from and it's Jack and his friends. I try not to let my gaze linger or do a double take so I focus on the conversation in front of me.