Chapter 5

Josephine

Our drive home starts with Mere giggling because of how attentive Jack was with me tonight. "Not too much on me, because if I remember correctly you were basically choking when Nico grabbed your face." I tease her.

"Yes, and if I remember correctly I liked it. I'm not the one in denial." She squeezes my shoulder, making me quiet for the rest of the car ride.

Jack is super sweet, and I really would like to get to know him but I just got out of the most toxic relationship ever. I hope he doesn't mind being friends for a while because as of right now it's all I should do. I would definitely do more if I didn't have my own best intentions at heart. I'm trying my best to give my head, heart, and body some time to heal. He deserves more than I'm willing to give him right now.

I can't help remembering how I was hurting when I was with Brendan, the day I broke it off with them, but the minute I saw Jack the weight of Brendan fell off my shoulders. What is he doing to me? He literally just came out of the blue.

I don't even notice when we get to Mere's house, because I'm so caught up in my own head, but she makes sure to kiss my head before shutting the door behind her. The Uber driver starts his drive to my house, giving me more time to overthink every possible thing. What if Jack is done with me after tonight? I totally embarrassed myself tonight, and he's probably thinking, "Good Riddance".

I get dropped off at my house and hand the driver a hefty tip for dealing with very drunk girls and driving far. I step into my house and kick off my boots the minute I close my door.

I head to my kitchen to grab a glass of water and some Advil, before heading to the restroom to wash my face. I'm so exhausted I almost pass out on my toilet, but push through and get my routine done. Tying my hair up in a messy bun, I throw on a big t-shirt, and hop right into bed.

As I begin drifting into a very much needed sleep I remember I never texted Jack to let him know I got home. Whatever I'm already in bed, he won't be that bothered, I'll just text him in the morning. Yeah I'll do that. Besides I shouldn't bother him, it's so late.

I wake up around 10:00, being very grateful for sobering Josephine for drinking some water and taking two Advils. I make myself a pancake, before looking through my entire house for my phone.

"Where did I leave it?" I ask myself before hearing a vibrating sound come from my boots. "Typical." I say about myself, before fishing my phone out from my boots.

"Hello?" I answer, not checking who was calling.

"Hi honey." my sweet dad says, making me perk up.

"Hi dad, what's up?" I ask him, while stuffing some of my pancake into my mouth.

"So the Devils' organization wants to throw a small gala for the old guys like me and some of the newer players, so we can talk strategy, have a small reunion, and help them win a cup like I did back in the day." He says, never failing to mention how him and his boys won a Stanley Cup back in the day. I wonder where he's going with this, since he's taking a large pause before speaking again.

"Oh that's fun, dad. Do you want me to come, is that it?" I ask, making him go quiet again, "Well the big guys want to hire a band to perform for like 45 ish minutes, and they brought up how both my children are performers." He says, taking another deep breath to ask his question.

I giggle into the phone at what he's asking of Theo and I. "Dad, if you're asking if Theo and I will perform at the gala the answer is yes. We'd love to, I'll let him know later today." I say into the phone taking a rather large sip of my drink.