Chapter 9

Josephine

I hear soft groaning and an alarm around me as I return to consciousness. Jack tries his hardest to not wake me as he reaches for his phone. 

"Fuck, sorry. Was trying not to wake you." He grumbles, his voice still a little groggy from just waking up. 

"No, you're good. I should probably start getting ready." I smile up at him, getting off of him, and rolling onto a different part of the couch. 

He stands up, grabbing his phone and keys from the coffee table, laughing to himself as he lifts his phone to take a picture of me. I look up at him and flip the camera off, trying my hardest to not let him see how giddy that made me. 

He squats down, pulling the blanket I threw over myself off my head and says, "I'll see you at the game, pretty lady." He presses a soft kiss to my forehead before walking out telling me to lock the door once he leaves.

 I watch his car pull out of my driveway and use my new privacy to scream at the top of my lungs. God I'm falling for him. This is horrific, I don't even know what to do anymore. I shake my head and see I have two-ish hours to get myself, before I pick up Mere and drive to the game.

 From my couch I decide on wearing a Devils crewneck, and black jeans pairing this with my beanie since it's getting a bit colder here. Once I'm fully dressed and ready to go I grab my keys, driving over to Mere's house. 

She walks out in blue jeans, a devils cap, and a huge devils' hoodie that she can somehow turn into a hot ass look. "Look at you, hottie." I say to her when she steps into my car. "Could say the same to you." she smiles at me, before her eyes squint at me. 

"Wha-" I try asking but she cuts me off. "You have a sex glow. You fucked Jack?" I must look like a deer in the headlights from how my eyes feel like they're bulging out. I'm caught. I should've known if anyone could find out from just looking at me with zero evidence it would be my best friend. 

"Oh my god, you have to tell me everything." She begs, so without revealing too much I tell her what I am comfortable sharing especially since I'm not sure if he's even comfortable telling anyone anything. 

We play our pregame playlist to keep up hype throughout our drive, not that we need it. It's just more fun that way. I send Jack a quick text, letting him know we're at the arena, making my best friend chuckle from the gesture. 

"Shush, Meredith Eve." I scold her, making her giggle even harder. We make it to our seats, getting the opportunity to watch the boys practice a bit before their game against the Calgary Flames. 

A few of the Devils start stretching their legs, catching Mere's eye when they stretch their groin. "Man, I hope those aren't what his strokes are like." She winces. 

"Meredith, enough." I blow out a laugh through my nose begging her to be quiet. She smacks my leg, enjoying how uncomfortable she's making me with this new little school girl crush. 

Jack skates past me, winking as we make eye contact. I bite my lip in order to regain composure. That composure goes right out the fucking door when I stand on my feet and cheer when my boys are announced on the ice. 

Mere whistles for Dawson, Nico, and Jack, making the two of us look like supportive best friends. Which is what we are, right?

I try not to overthink by focusing on the game and solely on the game, so later we can hash out the play by play over food. Discussing the plays is my favorite thing to do. I used to wait to eat dinner when I was a kid so that I could watch my dad's game and once he got home, we'd sit at the dinner table and discuss.