Chapter 10

Josephine

I remained on the couch until my leg felt better to walk on, and since I had been laying for so long, the day I could finally stand on it I decided I needed to go out and be active. I put on some biker shorts, and a cropped workout tank, throwing my hair up into a ponytail. 

I shove my airpods in my ears and start my run through my neighborhood. I run out to this trail that leads to the city and head that way. The minute I step into the city I feel a sense of uncertainty and like going this way was a bad idea, but I can't run back now or they'd know where I live.

 I loop around the block and am hit with a few paparazzis. "Fuck." I curse under my breath, trying to not draw attention to myself and keep running. "Josephine Lee!" one of them yells, but I keep running. A few chase after me, but I lose them when I step inside of a gift shop. I buy a water bottle from a fridge they have in there, and walk out of the store to sit on the bench to sit for a bit. 

I sip my water and take deep breaths, trying to prepare myself for another long run. "Josephine?" A woman's voice says to my right. I turn my head and see four teenage girls standing close together with their phones out. "Hi." I say softly, but still out of breath. "Hi, we're huge fans." One of them says, making me press my hands to my heart. "That's so sweet, ugh I love meeting you guys." I say genuinely. 

Paparazzis are usually invasive and rude but my fans make me feel so safe and happy. We start some small talk by them telling me their names, then the shortest girl named Beck says, "When are we getting new music?" They all giggle.

"Actually soon, I'm working on a lot right now. I can't say this year but it's definitely on my radar." I answer, making them squeal. We seal our conversation with a few pictures, and then say our goodbyes, leading me to run back in the direction of my house. 

When I get home I toss my clothes into a dirty clothes hamper and get in the shower, pulling my hair out of the ponytail it was just in. Meeting those few girls in the city today kind of inspired me to write more, or at least put me in a musical state. 

But as I wash my hair and body not a single droplet of inspiration hits me. I try humming something out, but nothing. I rinse the shampoo from my hair and grow frustrated because I never get writer's block, music usually oozes out of me. 

After my shower I make some breakfast, and sit on my couch to watch a few episodes of 'Friends' and get to the episode where Monica and Chandler first hook up, but pause when I hear my ringtone for my messages go off. I grab my phone off the kitchen counter, refilling my water bottle, while unlocking my phone to see Jack texted me.

Jack: God Damn. and he follows that up with a picture of me and the girls I saw 

Me: Sweet girls, I met them during my run. 

Jack: You are many things, but if I think too much you might find me at your doorstep instead of on the rink. 

Me: Have a good practice Jack. 

I end the conversation to not distract him from practice, but as I slowly set my phone down I smile at the thought of him thinking I looked good. Not even thinking of how he found that picture. 

Jack

I blow a laugh through my nose as I read Josie's message. She really does look spectacular in the photos. I may have found some Josephine Lee update accounts on instagram and that's how I came across the lovely photos from after her run. 

I found some old concert videos, the video Nico posted on his instagram story, and a few things her younger brother Theo had posted. I was refreshing the page when I saw the pictures. She looks stunning, as sweaty as she was after her run I was at a loss for words.