Anxiety (Ranpoe)

A/N: alrighty so I randomly got this idea of: what if Poe's anxious about something and asks Ranpo to come over and help him? This is going to involve some angst, so be prepared for that. Without further ado, enjoy!)

The feelings were back.

The strange sensations of unexplainable fear and dread. The feelings of being weighed down by everything for one reason or another. The practically crippling anxiety. No matter what, they always seemed to come back again and again. It was a never-ending cycle.

This was just great.

It wasn't to say that Poe was unfamiliar with those feelings. He actually dealt with them fairly often, whether or not he had an identified reason. He wasn't sure which was worse, when he knew why he was feeling that way or when he was just randomly experiencing it without knowing why. Actually, it was bad regardless.

This time though, it hadn't exactly come out of nowhere. Lately, Poe had been going through a time of feeling like everything was going wrong, so naturally it led to this.

It had also been affecting his sleep schedule. Whenever he was anxious like this, he found it even harder to fall asleep than usual. Given how he already had trouble sleeping, this made it worse.

Poe wasn't usually one to do this, but he'd actually called out of work today because of how bad he felt. Not that it was helping, because now he had to be alone with his thoughts. That didn't often go well for him. At least if he'd gone to work, he didn't have to think about everything that bothered him. He tried distracting himself, but nothing seemed to work. He tried every single thing he could think of, but it was all in vain. Eventually, he just found himself sitting on the couch with Karl.

That helped somewhat. Karl was always a comforting presence. It was times like this where Poe was glad to have that adorable little raccoon. He always was, but that was the case especially now.

Poe was a little calmer for awhile, but then he started feeling anxious again. Agh...what to do, what to do? he frantically wondered.

His eyes wandered over to his phone, and he got an idea. Maybe he could call Ranpo, who was pretty much the only person he felt comfortable around.

No, I can't do that. He's probably at work right now. I don't want to disturb him, Poe thought. I'll just have to suffer through this for now and call him later.

But even as he thought those words, he started to have a feeling that he wouldn't be able to wait that long. He needed someone there. Preferably as soon as possible. It had taken him a long time to admit that to himself because he didn't want to bother anyone with his problems.

Despite all his internal debating, Poe found himself reaching for his phone and dialing Ranpo's number. His hands were shaking a bit as he did so.

Ranpo was at the agency and absentmindedly doodling on some of his paperwork. He jumped when he abruptly heard his phone ring. He glanced at it and smiled when he saw the caller ID. He answered it. "Hey, Poe. What's up?"

"...Could you come over...?" Poe could hardly get the words out, both because he was suddenly feeling worse and he felt like he shouldn't even be doing this.

Ranpo immediately got worried when he heard Poe's tone. "I'll be right there."

"Thanks..."

"Anytime."

Poe hung up, instantly regretting having called Ranpo. The master detective had probably been busy and there Poe was, bothering him.

True to his word, Ranpo had appeared at Poe's house within the next few minutes. He knocked on the door. It's rare that I hear him sounding like that. What could be wrong...?