If Things Were Different (Mushimizo)

(A/N: I figured it was about time I wrote some Mushimizo because THEY DESERVED A HAPPY ENDING TOGETHER, OK?! Ahem. Without further ado, enjoy!)

Mushitarō was sitting by his longtime friend (and recent boyfriend) Yokomizo as he worked on a mystery novel.

Yokomizo looked up from his papers and at Mushitarō. He smiled slightly. "Something up?"

Mushitarō quickly looked away, slightly embarrassed to have been caught staring.

Yokomizo laughed to himself.

"Yoko, don't laugh at me," Mushitarō complained, pouting.

"Sorry," Yokomizo replied, still sounding amused.

"No, you're not."

"Mushi, how could you suggest such a thing? What do you take me for?"

"Someone who clearly finds amusement in my embarrassment and suffering. You have oh so greatly wounded me, my dear Yoko."

Yokomizo tried not to laugh again. "My apologies." Though I am fond of that nickname.

"I still doubt you're sorry. And now the sting of betrayal has stabbed me further and this is the end for me. Goodbye, friend of mine. It was nice knowing you."

At this point, Yokomizo was unable to keep himself from laughing a little.

"Oh, the pain! The agony! The sting of betrayal has not only stabbed me further, it's brutally attacking me!"

Yokomizo poked Mushitarō's arm. "Calm down, buddy. I'd never hurt you with the sting of betrayal or whatever you're saying."

Mushitarō laughed a little. "I know."

Yokomizo smiled and ruffled Mushitarō's hair.

"Yoko! Not the hair!" Mushitarō ducked out of the way.

Yokomizo grinned a little evilly.

Mushitarō pretended to be offended. "Not only did you mess with the hair, but you're not even sorry for doing so? Wow."

Yokomizo kept grinning. "Guilty as charged, my dear."

Mushitarō blushed a little. "Yeah, and now you're also guilty of giving me a nickname I love."

"I've been doing that since we started dating and even before then."

"True, but it never flusters me less."

"I'm honored to know that."

Mushitarō smiled.

Yokomizo patted Mushitarō's head before returning to his writing.

Mushitarō leaned against Yokomizo and watched him write.

Yokomizo glanced at his friend for a minute and then started writing again.

Mushitarō absentmindedly began to read over what was written so far. "Looks good. And confusing as always."

Yokomizo laughed softly. "I mean, I'd expect that seeing as this is still a very unfinished draft."

"That's true. But I'm sure it'll still be confusing once you're done writing it."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"It was one. You write the best mysteries, no questions asked."

Yokomizo smiled. "Thanks. I do my best, after all."

Mushitarō smiled back.

Yokomizo then turned his attention back to writing.

Mushitarō kept watching.

After awhile, Yokomizo was finally putting the finishing touches on it and turned to Mushitarō to ask if he wanted to read it.

As it turned out, Mushitarō had fallen asleep right there on Yokomizo.

The writer smiled to himself upon seeing that sight.

A few minutes passed, and then Mushitarō began to stir a bit. He slowly opened his eyes and glanced at Yokomizo. "Oh, hey."

"Welcome back to the land of the living, sleeping beauty," Yokomizo joked.

Mushitarō laughed a little. "I wasn't asleep that long...was I?"

"Depends on how long I was writing."

"Oh, then it was definitely awhile."

"Mushi, are you implying that I spend too much time writing?"

"Yoko, I'm outright saying it. How many times have I caught you asleep at your desk because you pulled an all-nighter writing?"

"...Point taken."

"You really should fix that atrocious sleep schedule of yours."

"Atrocious? I beg to differ."

"I'm not wrong."

"I suppose not."

"Thank you for admitting I'm right."

Yokomizo laughed a little. "Would you like to see the finished product that I didn't spend all night writing this time?"

"I sure would."

Yokomizo handed it to him.

Mushitarō began to read, trying his best to figure out the mystery before he reached the end of the book.

But as always, he failed.

"Ugh, stop writing these mysteries so well, Yoko," Mushitarō complained.

"I'm afraid I can't do that," Yokomizo announced.

"Wha- why not?!"

"Because who would willingly spend their time and money reading a predictable mystery?"

"I would!"

"You don't speak for the general public, dear."

"But I do speak as your best friend and boyfriend."

"Hm, fair point. Maybe I'll write easier mysteries just for you."

"You're the best." Mushitarō smiled.

Yokomizo smiled back. "Why, thank you."

Mushitarō leaned closer to his boyfriend and kissed his cheek.

Yokomizo blinked in shock.

Mushitarō grinned. "I love you."

"Oh? I love you, too." Yokomizo smirked right back at Mushitarō and pulled him into a kiss.

Mushitarō had been caught off guard by this, but he sure wasn't complaining. Time spent with Yokomizo was absolutely the best time.