O Karl, Where Art Thou? (Ranpoe)

(A/N: so I randomly got this idea the other day. I thought "hey, what if Karl goes missing and Poe asks Ranpo for help finding him?". There will be some angst, but not too much. Without further ado, enjoy!)

This wasn't good.

Not at all.

Not the tiniest bit.

Something terrible had happened and it was...Karl had gone missing.

Poe had just turned around for a minute while he was bringing in some groceries (yes, he'd surprisingly left his house), and he'd been about to close the door, but then Karl had disappeared. Now the poor writer was left wondering where his pet was.

After about half an hour of simultaneously freaking out and searching for Karl but not finding him, Poe decided that something else had to be done.

He grabbed his phone and dialed Ranpo's number.

Ranpo was just relaxing and then he heard his phone ring. He glanced at it and answered it. "Hello, my dear! What's up?"

"HELP!!!!!!!!" Poe exclaimed.

Ranpo blinked and moved the phone away from his ear for a minute. "Jeez, Poe. What was that for?"

"Sorry...I'm just really worried right now."

"Why, what happened?"

"Karl is lost."

"What?! How'd that happen?"

"I don't know! I just looked away for a minute and now he's gone. Something probably happened to him and it's all my fault..."

"Calm down, Poe. I'm sure he'll turn up."

"...Could you help me look for him?"

"Yeah, of course!"

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

Poe hung up and tried to calm down. Ranpo was probably right and Karl wasn't completely lost. But at the same time...

Ranpo showed up right around then and knocked on the door.

Poe answered it, trying not to look as terrified as he currently was.

But of course, Ranpo saw right through him. "Try not to worry so much. We'll find him."

"Karl is missing. How can I not worry?"

"Hm, fair point."

"We need to find him!" Poe pulled Ranpo out of the house and the two of them began to set off.

Even though Ranpo had tried to calm his boyfriend down, he understood Poe's incessant worry. This was Karl, after all. He'd been Poe's pet for as long as both of them could remember. Of course Poe was worried.

"Karl!" Poe exclaimed.

"Karl, where are you?" Ranpo asked, looking around.

Poe also scanned the area. Karl had to be around here somewhere...right?

"Karl!" Ranpo repeated. "Come out, come out, wherever you are!"

Poe found himself starting to worry again, but he tried to stay calm so he could focus on finding his dear pet.

The two of them began to look everywhere they could think of, but alas, no Karl showed up.

By this time, Poe was a lot more scared than he had been before. He glanced at Ranpo.

Ranpo glanced back.

"Ranpo...what if he's...?" Poe couldn't bring himself to finish voicing the question.

"He's not," Ranpo replied, knowing what his boyfriend meant.

"How do you know?"

"My super deduction, of course. And also because this is Karl we're talking. He won't go down that easily."

Poe fell silent again. He wished he could believe Ranpo, but his fears wouldn't go away.

Ranpo reached out and patted Poe's arm.

Poe looked at Ranpo.

"We'll find him, I promise," Ranpo assured him.

"Right..." Poe tried to believe what Ranpo was saying, but it still wasn't as easy as he would've liked for it to be.

Ranpo reached out and held Poe's hand, hoping to calm him down at least a little more.

Poe curled his fingers around Ranpo's, trying to calm down. He knew he might be overreacting but well...this was Karl. As in his beloved pet. That he worried about all the time, even when he wasn't missing. What if I never see him again all because I wasn't watching him well enough? I'm the actual worst owner ever...

Ranpo glanced at Poe, feeling bad. "You're not the worst pet owner at all. I've seen how well you take care of Karl."

"Well, thanks..." Poe wasn't completely convinced, but he did find some comfort in Ranpo's words.

"You're welcome. Now, let's keep looking for him."

Poe nodded and looked around. "Karl...? Please come back..."

"Karl!" Ranpo called, also looking around.

After what felt like hours of searching, Ranpo saw something run by. "Poe! Did you see that?"

"See what?" Poe asked.

"Something ran by. Maybe it was Karl!"

Poe's eyes widened. "Maybe it was!"

"Come on!" Ranpo took Poe's hand and headed in the direction he'd seen the figure run.

The two of them looked around.

"Karl? Are you here?" Ranpo asked.

Poe faintly heard some squeaking. "Ranpo! I think I heard him."

"Yeah, same here!" Ranpo agreed.

Poe saw a bush and headed over to it. The squealing gradually grew louder.

And there, lo and behold, was Karl. He was just chilling in the bush.

Poe sighed and relief and quickly scooped up his pet. "Karl! There you are! I was so worried!"

Karl just squeaked again, looking up at Poe.

Ranpo ran over. "There you are, you little scoundrel. Did you know that you terrified your poor owner?"

"I wasn't terrified!" Poe protested.

Ranpo raised his eyebrows, thinking back to how scared his boyfriend had been.

"...Ok, I was," Poe confessed. He glanced down at Karl and hugged him tighter, admittedly afraid to let go.

Ranpo smiled a little, glad to see the pet and owner reunited. "See, Poe? I told you he was ok."

"Good thing, too," Poe replied.

The two of them, now with the addition of the once missing raccoon, headed back to Poe's house.