When Poe Met Karl (Poe and Karl, Ranpoe)

(A/N: because there's not really any Poe backstory out there other than when he got defeated by Ranpo, I decided that I'd write my take on when he met Karl. Without further ado, enjoy!)

It had been a few months now since the most humiliating moment of Poe's life. He wasn't exaggerating when he put it like that, it really had been a bad time. It caused him to vow that one day, he'd get his revenge on Ranpo. This rivalry would without a doubt work in his favor and he'd make Ranpo feel the way he'd felt when he'd been brutally defeated.

But for now, Poe was taking a break from his epic revenge plans. He needed to clear his head, so he'd gone out on a walk. Unfortunately, it wasn't really working so far. All he could think of was Ranpo...how he'd get revenge on Ranpo, that is.

Poe was starting to find it annoying how Ranpo seemed to live rent free in his mind. This was extremely frustrating. Why couldn't he go even just a second without thinking of the one who had caused him such humiliation? The one who had defeated him so easily and then, adding insult to injury, started rubbing it in about how he was so much better as if Poe hadn't already known that. The one who he would absolutely defeat one day if it was the last thing he ever did. The one he definitely hated.

Poe sighed. No, he was supposed to be clearing his head right now, not thinking about everything that bothered him. He was supposed to be trying to relax.

...Not that that ever came easy to him. Why was it that relaxing sounded so simple in theory, but he couldn't ever seem to get the hang of it? Why couldn't he ever go just a few minutes without thinking too much, without wishing he could shut off his mind, without worrying about something even if he didn't know what exactly it was he was worried about?

Poe blinked, realizing he was doing it again. He tried to take a deep breath and not think too much.

After walking for awhile, Poe decided to take a rest. He found a tree and sat under it, still a bit lost in thought. He wished he could stop thinking about Ranpo. But then again, he'd already decided he was going to get revenge on that infuriating master detective one day and he couldn't in good conscience back down now. Even if Ranpo had no idea about his plans.

...Or maybe he did, seeing as he was a master detective and all.

At one point, Poe's eyes wandered over to a nearby bush. The bush was rustling a bit, and it caused Poe to wonder if it was just the wind or if something was in the bushes.

And if something was in the bushes then...was it something harmless? Or was it something that was going to jump out and kill him?

He couldn't die. Not yet. Not when he still had revenge to plan and eventually seek.

He also couldn't die before seeing Ranpo again, and the only reason for that was the revenge. Nothing else.

Calm down, you're probably just overthinking again, he told himself, getting up and slowly inching towards the bush.

He took a deep breath, trying to calm down. He knew he was likely worrying for nothing, but then again when did that ever stop him from worrying?

Once Poe reached the bush, he cautiously pulled the leaves apart and that was when he saw...

...Was that a baby raccoon?

Poe squinted slightly, getting a better look at it. It was indeed a baby raccoon and he looked...oh no, it looked like he was injured.

Before Poe could do anything, the baby raccoon had tumbled out of the bush, looked at him, and then began to run away.

Poe knelt down, looking at the raccoon and slowly moving closer.