Tutoring (Taniatsu)

(A/N: this is a request by kottbullar301392. Basically what happens here is Atsushi tutors Junichiro but it leads to something more. Without further ado, enjoy my first attempt at writing Taniatsu!)

Junichiro was having some trouble in school, so he went to someone who he thought could help him: his friend Atsushi.

"Heeeeyyyy, Atsushi?" Junichiro asked, walking up to the weretiger.

Atsushi looked up from his work. "Oh hey, Junichiro. What's up?"

"I've been having some trouble with schoolwork, so I was wondering if maybe you could help me sometime?"

"Oh yeah, of course! What is it you need help with?"

"...A little of everything."

"Alright. Want me to help you later?"

"Yeah, that sounds good!"

"Should we meet at the library or something?"

"That's perfect."

"Great! What time?"

"Would 4:30 work?"

Atsushi nodded.

Junichiro smiled. "Awesome. Thanks, Atsu. I owe you one."

Atsushi was slightly caught off guard by the sudden nickname. "You're welcome. I'll see you later." What was up with that nickname? And...why did I not dislike it?

Junichiro nodded and headed to his desk. Unbeknownst to Atsushi, he was thinking about the same thing. Why'd I say that? I've never given him any nicknames, so why'd I do it? He probably thinks I'm weird for it...

The two boys worked in silence.

~Time skip~

They both began to head to the library and for reasons they couldn't explain, they'd both felt a bit strange about this meetup. They didn't know why, though. They'd hung out multiple times before, so what felt so different about this time?

Junichiro was still regretting having blurted out that nickname. He was worried he'd made Atsushi uncomfortable and that was the last thing he ever wanted to do.

Atsushi glanced at Junichiro and grinned. "So! Are you ready to get started?"

Junichiro nodded. Well...he doesn't seem to be uncomfortable about the nickname so maybe I was worried for nothing...

"Great!" Atsushi took Junichiro's hand and walked into the library.

Junichiro looked down at their intertwined hands and tried not to think too much about it. This was normal friend behavior...wasn't it?

Meanwhile, Atsushi was shocked by his own actions. Why had he just grabbed Junichiro's hand like that? He hadn't thought much of it at first, but now...he was having second thoughts about everything.

The two of them found a table in the back of the library and then Junichiro got out some of his books.

Atsushi glanced over the books. "Alright, what do you want to work on first?"

"How about history?" Junichiro suggested.

"Works for me." Atsushi looked at the worksheet Junichiro had, opened the textbook, and then began to help his friend go through the chapter and find all the answers to the questions.

After a few hours, Junichiro had gotten a lot done with the help of Atsushi. The two friends began to part ways.

As Junichiro headed home, he found himself thinking about how he'd called Atsushi "Atsu" and kept wondering why he'd done it. Sure, nicknames could just be friend things, but he didn't usually give Atsushi any nicknames so what was with the sudden change?

Maybe...

Junichiro shook his head and quickly shut down that thought. No, don't think like that. You'll just be setting yourself up for disappointment. He'll never like you like that so why even bother confessing...?

Little did Junichiro know that Atsushi was currently thinking similar things. Specifically the nickname. He wasn't used to that sort of thing, so it confused him. Not that he disliked it or anything. In fact, he rather liked it.

...What did that mean?

Atsushi shook his head. No, I don't need to overthink it. It's just a nickname...that my friend gave me...and I happened to like it...this is fine...

As Junichiro went to bed that night, he was still ruminating over what he'd done and wondered why he couldn't stop thinking about Atsushi. What was going on?

~Time skip~

Atsushi and Junichiro ended up at the library again because Junichiro still needed some more help. But it was slightly awkward since neither of them had addressed the nickname yet. They both wanted to, but also didn't want to.

But eventually, Atsushi decided to cut to the chase. "Junichiro?"

"Yes?" Junichiro asked, attempting to look at his friend but also finding it a bit hard.

"Um...about that nickname you gave me yesterday-"

"I'm sorry about that!"

"Why are you apologizing? I'm not mad."

"Wait, you're not?"

"No, of course not! I actually really liked it." Atsushi slightly averted his gaze.

"Oh...that's good." Junichiro also looked away.

The two of them worked a bit longer, and then they headed out.

They'd started to go their separate ways, but then Junichiro paused and glanced back at Atsushi. "Wait!"

"Hm?" Atsushi turned to look at Junichiro.

Junichiro walked over. "There's something I have to tell you."

"What is it?"

Junichiro took a deep breath. Am I really doing this right now...? "I like you."

Atsushi was shocked.

For a minute, Junichiro began to worry that this hadn't been a good idea.

Once Atsushi's shock went away, he smiled. "I like you, too."

Junichiro smiled back.

The two of them, both glad that they'd finally made their feelings known to each other, ended up heading to Junichiro's house and hanging out some more.