72 - You can only do so much

Imagine...

Tears flow down your cheeks in a steady stream, as you try to wipe them before they puddle onto the sheet of notes that you had yet to finish. You were exhausted, as your head ached, shoulders hunched over, and stomach tightened impossibly, as a pained mewl escaped your lips.

"Sunshine?" Your sobs stopped as you recognised the voice. Your boyfriend.

He had warned you of this, yet you insisted on marching on into the storm, alone. You were stubborn, and as he often reminded you, too stubborn for your own good. And with exhibit A, we have you here, now, crying over a mess he had warned you about. 

"Sunshine?" He called out again, as you wiped your eyes on the sleeves of your jumper, sending a silent prayer that your cheeks weren't stained red and puffy, as he opened the door.

"Hey, sunshine." You knew he was smiling. He was always smiling. Yet with you, it wasn't mocking or sadistic. It was gentle and warm.

"Hi-" Your voice broke, and another wave of tears threatened to cascade down your cheeks. A sob which you had tried so hard to keep in, crawled up your throat, and broke out, as you lent over your desk, your previously controlled tears, now uncontrollable.

"Oh, my sunshine." His words were soft as he grabbed the back of your chair, and spun it around to face him, as he knelt before you. "My sunshine, my sweet sunshine." His words were kissed into the crown of your head, as he simply wrapped you in his arms, hiding you away from the world. 

"You are my sunshine..." He began to sing softly, as his hands stoked your hair soothingly. "My only sunshine... You make me happy... when skies are grey... you'll never know just... how much i love you... so please... don't take... my sunshine away." Between his softly sun words, he continued to press kisses to you, until he pulled you away enough to press a simple kiss to your lips. Soft. Sweet. Kind.

" 'M sorry..." You started, as you fiddled with his y/f/c tie, flattening out across his chest. 

"Never apologise to me." His words were firm, not rude.

"I just... there's so many exams." You couldn't see his face, as you played with his tie, but you knew his eyes lit up in understanding.

"My love... You will ace every single one of them." He wasn't saying it to provide false hope, he said it because it was true: you had studied so hard, for months for these exams. Yet, you were too hard on yourself. Much too hard.

"But..."

"No. You are trying your best. That's all you can do. If you do your best then I don't expect anything else." The words again were firmer, yet he hugged you so gently.

You stayed there for a while. Hugging him. Allowing yourself to be held.

You can only do so much, but he was here to remind you of the limits you always seem to surpass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Written: 24/March/2023

Hello.

Please accept this short and poorly written chapter as an apology for my absense.

Year 11 is royally kicking my ass, between assessments, trying to work out, and just relaxing, it's hard.

I love you all very much.

Outcastkido