Chapter 33. Calls That Hurt

Flashback~
{Takes place a bit before meeting Yusuke. But after seeing Shoto]

I sighed as I watched the night sky. Once again I was alone, I was fumbling with my old phone –the same one I used to message Shoto. I was about to toss it into the trash when it rang. The person calling me was none other than Uncle Mirai.

Hesitantly I answered.

"Hello..."

"Hello indeed, it's been a while hasn't it. I've heard you've been quite busy."

His voice was like warm soup for a sick person trying to recover; it was soothing and so familiar. I felt my heart sink with guilt.

"I wouldn't call it busy..." I awkwardly spoke. "Uncle Mirai I'm really—"

"Don't say anything you don't mean." He interrupted me sternly. He sighed, "You know I was never in agreement with your father regarding how he was raising you when [Mom's name] passed away. But he assured me he was doing what was best for the time being. I believed him until you called me that day. Remember?"

I don't remember much of my childhood. Only bits and pieces; probably me just trying to block those memories out. I faintly remember my mom, those were happy times. I remember when she died, meeting Tenko, when All Might told me he had become the number one hero and he said he was going to be busy from then on.

But the day I became fully aware of All Might's abandonment was when...

"I called you to ask you if there was a way to obtain a quirk, whether by surgery or if could join the police force... so I could catch up to him..."

"Right, and do you remember what I said?" he asked me. I remained silent and he answered for me, "I asked you if becoming a hero or a police agent was something you wanted. Just like then, you remained silent. Eventually evading the question. You simply stated that you wanted to support your dad so you could spend time with him."

"My goals have changed." I felt my throat dry up.

"Your goal changed to be a villain?" he questioned with an incredulous tone. "Don't make me laugh. You never were one to make great jokes."

"It had to be done." I replied firmly. "I got tired of waiting for things to change and so—"

"You decided to become a villain by forging an alliance with the man who almost killed your father."

I sighed, "You make it sound so gruesome."

"It is gruesome." He deadpanned, "It's twisted."

"I know... but I didn't—this was bound to happen eventually. I told you how upset I was, by having been ignored by my dad. I was practically raised by babysitters, I was alone, and when he was at home, he didn't bother to know me, console me, it was like I was a burden and all he cared about was being a hero... I thought having a quirk would fix the gap between us."

"It's not that he wanted to ignore you, he wanted to make a better world in where you wouldn't suffer."

I rolled my eyes, "I didn't want that. I wanted my dad... I wanted his care and love. I hated being alone. But that isn't the worst part. Even when he knew I was quirkless and he could transfer his quirk, he chose some random boy to be his successor. Do you know how hurt I was?"

There was a moment of silence before I heard him softly exhale. "I know. I didn't agree with him. I spoke with him about that."

My eyes widened, "You did?"