The Tale of Adeline

"I - I saw you."

Fred's eyes went wide as the information registered in his brain; his breathing accelerated.

"You saw him?" Leah's eyes wide.

George nodded. "The moment you touched the box, he was suddenly sitting there, next to you. It was just for a moment, but I definitely saw him."

Leah looked from George to Fred. Fred immediately understood and reached his hand back to the box. When they slowly lowered their hands, they watched George, but he just shook his head when they touched the small chest again. Sighing they pulled their hands back.

"It's okay." George reassured. "At least I saw him. Now, look inside." He ushered her, waving his hand to the chest.

Leah slowly opened the box and looked inside. On top was a picture of her, Addie and Nan, only a few weeks before Addie passed away. Fred and George quietly scooted closer and looked with her at the photograph, as she traced lines over it, over her nan, over Addie. She passed the photograph down to Fred as she picked up the next photograph, of her Nan with her grandfather. But what none of them noticed was that every time she touched the faces on the photo, their ghost appeared in the corner of the attic, and with a blink off an eye they were gone again.

"Who's that?" George asked pointing at the photograph.

"My grandfather, I never knew him. He died before I was born." She said as she gave it to George. She looked back in the box, and it was filled with letters, all addressed to her. She took out the letters to find one last thing on the bottom of the chest. She pursed her lips and frowned as she held up the bottle at eye level, cloudy white liquid floating in it.

"Merlin!" George gasped as he saw the small bottle. Fred looked up from the second photo and his eyes went big as he saw what she was holding.

"What? What is it?"

"They are memories." Fred said, inspecting the bottle closer.

"Memories?" She squinted her eyes at the liquid.

"Yes, we can extract memories with our wands. You can look at them with a pensieve, but we don't have one." He said frowning. "We tried to make one, but haven't succeeded, yet."

"Minnie!" Fred cried out. "Minerva has one. I heard Harry and Ron talking about it a few summers back. Dumbledore had one, so I assume it's still in the headmaster's office."

"Fred says there is one in Minerva's office."

"I'll send a new Patronus to Minnie." He stood up. "Uhm, Leah? Did that come from the chest too?" He asked pointing to a little rolled up piece of parchment. She picked it up curiously and rolled it open, reading it aloud.

My sweet little LéLé

If you have found this box, it means I died before I had a chance to tell you.

I know you have a lot of questions, but please read my letters before you watch the memories. If what the seer has told me is true, a young wizard named Weasley will be sitting right next to you, only visible for you to see, for now.

All will become clear when you read and see everything I have left you.

Please forgive me.

I love you with all my heart.
Addie and I will both be watching over you.
Until we'll meet again.

Nan.