Chili

Leah stepped back in the kitchen, smelling the aromas of dinner being made. The kitchen was empty expect for Hermione that was muttering curses under her breath as she tried to peel and slice sweet potatoes. She took the seat next to her and held out her hands.

"Care for an extra pair of hands?"

"Yes! I'm completely helpless in the kitchen." She laughed. Leah smiled as she took over her supplies. She started peeling and cutting in a top pace, much to the amazement and amusement of Hermione and Fred.

"How?"

"My grandmother taught me to cook." She shrugged. "I quite enjoy cooking, but I can't imagine doing it every day for such a large family."

"It takes some getting used to." Mrs. Weasley said as she watched Leah work from the kitchen door. "But magic certainly helps." She smiled.

"I never cook with magic. My Nan was a muggle, so she taught me without it. It's a habit I can't shake." Leah smiled as she stood up with the board full of cut sweet potatoes. "I have to say, Mrs. Weasley. This smell amazing!" She said smelling the damps that came from the pot.

"It's my famous chili." She smiled as Leah tossed in the sweet potatoes.

"Did you put in cumin?"

"I did. You really have a nose for it."

"The nose of a hound dog." She grinned tapping the side of her nose. "Can I try something?" She asked holding up a ladle. Fred was shocked that his mother so easily agreed, feeling the warmth spread across his chest as they got along so well. Leah scooped up some chili with the large ladle and took a vial of cinnamon powder from the rack.

"Cinnamon?" Fred's mum asked surprised.

"Trust me." Leah winked before she shook the vial over the ladle. "Try it."

Mrs. Weasley took the ladle over from her and carefully brought it to her lips. Her eyes wide as the chili slides down her throat. Fred and Hermione both on the edge of their seats, waiting for her reaction.

"Oh my... Leah, this is incredible."

"It's nothing, I just added the cinnamon, you did all the hard work. But you should try my veggie lasagne, it would blow your mind!"

Suddenly Mrs. Weasley dropped the ladle in the pot and gave her a bone crushing hug. Leah didn't expect that and looked panicked at Fred and Hermione, who grinned back. "I wish I could've seen you with Fred together." Tears starting to fall down the older witch's cheek. "I miss him so much."

Leah's eyes started to prickle again as she held the witch tight to her chest. "He loved you so much. He was so proud he could call you his mum."

The crying started to become heavier as Leah calmly rubbed her back. The kitchen door opened again, but she couldn't see who entered because her back was to it. Then Mr. Weasley appeared next to her, giving her a small smile. "I'll take her."

Leah let her arms drop from Mrs. Weasley's back. "Let's go upstairs." He whispered to his wife. When they exited the kitchen, she took in a deep breath and straightens her back as she looked around the kitchen. Bill, Ron and Harry had entered the kitchen too and were all looking at her.

"Uhm. Hi." She said uncertain before sitting back next to Hermione. The rest took the seat across from them. Fred rearranged himself as he sat down next to Leah.

"I went to get Arthur. And they overheard, so they followed us in." Hermione explained.

"I thought she was doing better. She hasn't cried in a while." Bill said.