Chapter 1

When Stiles was 6, his mom and dad were driving him back home after they had gone to the movies for his birthday. He had, had so much fun that day hanging out with Scott, Isaac, Jackson, and Danny. They watched a new movie out that year called spy kids.

He remembered enjoying the movie. I couldn't even think about watching the film anymore, considering what happened on the way home. His parents were talking happily in the front of the car whilst Stiles, who was at the time going by Mischief, sat in the backseat happily thinking about the presents that he had received that day. When a truck came out of nowhere and hit straight into the front of their car.

Stiles doesn't remember much after that. Not until he's at the hospital and he's calling for his mom, for his dad, for anybody. A nurse came in and tried to get him to settle down, but Stiles was stubborn, always has been always will be, and he wanted his parents. Why wasn't anyone just bringing him to his parents?

He remembers Tara, a deputy like his father coming into his hospital room. Her face was blank but Stiles being the perceptive person that he has always been saw the look in her eyes. The look that screamed something had happened. He remembers looking at her and bursting into tears. She came over and held him and he begged her to give him his parents. He just wanted his parents.

But they were never coming. He knew they would never be coming. But that didn't stop his screams and cries. He cried himself to sleep in Tara's arms that day.

His mother had died on impact, a quick death, he tried to comfort himself with that knowledge. She died quick and painlessly.

His father wasn't quite so lucky, the air bag in the steering wheel didn't go off and instead the wheel crashed forward into his father's rib cage. His father died wheezing, gasping for breath. Stiles found out about it when he overheard the Sheriff talking with his aunt and uncle. Obviously, he didn't use those words, but Stiles was an imaginative kid. Sometimes Stiles wonders if it was just his imagination that cooked up that picture or if he did remember some things from the accident. Didn't matter really.

Stiles ended up living with his aunt and uncle and cousins, which meant moving from one small town to the other. From California to Virginia. From Beacon Hills to Mystic Falls. It was a big change for Stiles. Going from a place where he knew everybody to a town where he knew no one but every adult seemed to know him. He had no friends there at least he didn't until his cousin introduced him to hers.

It took him a while to get passed his parents deaths. A lot of time spent with a child psychologist. Although most of that time was spent with Stiles making sure he used to right words so that when his aunt and uncle talked with the psychologist after him, they would come out looking happier.  But eventually Stiles was able to move passed the trauma, he made friends with Elena's friends, and he looked after Jeremy like he was his own little brother which the boy loved.

Stiles had stopped celebrating his birthday after his parents' deaths, losing your parents on your birthday made the idea of celebrating seem...he just didn't think he could do it. Which was why Stiles had been shocked when his aunt and uncle had asked to speak with him on his 15th birthday.

They asked him if he wanted them to adopt him. His aunt had promised him that they weren't trying to replace his parents, but it had been something on their minds for a while and they wanted to know if he was willing to become a Gilbert.

Stiles was hesitant at first. Unsure if that was something that he wanted for himself. But eventually he decided that yes, he would like to a Gilbert he wanted to be able to call Jeremy and Elena his sister and brother instead of his cousins. He wanted a family.

But he made them promise that Stiles would be allowed to remain a Stilinski, he didn't want to through his father's last name out. He wanted something to hold onto from his parents.