Chapter 75

"She's the calmest desiccating vampire I've ever seen. I remember when you starved me down there for three days. I would've wept at your feet for an orange peel." Damon admits making Stiles raise an eyebrow at the vampire.

"Look, she's not gonna beg for blood. Begging means desperation, emotion. She's still in no-humanity zone." Stefan explains.

"Which begs the question of why I'm here. It's not like I can do anything. And I doubt she'd get her emotions back through me." Stiles points out.

"Anger is still an emotion." Stefan informs.

"Have I mentioned that I hate you?" Stiles inquires.

"Yes, several times today. Now, how hungry does she need to be before we can torture some feelings back into her?" Damon asks.

"A lot hungrier than she is now, apparently." Stefan huffs.

"So, what are we supposed to do in the meantime?" Damon questions.

"Maybe I can provide a little excitement." Stiles sighs when he hears that voice.

"Katherine." Stefan greets, shocked.

"The one and only...sort of. So, when's the welcome home party?" Katherine jokes.

"Wow, look who went and got bold. Last time I checked, Klaus was plotting your eternal demise." Damon states.

"Well, A) Doesn't matter as Klaus isn't here anymore, B) I thought you might need my help and C) I'm being kept in town for someone else's revenge fantasies." Katherine tells the brothers as she winks at Stiles.

"Wait, what do you mean he's gone?" Stefan asks at the same time as Damon asks Stiles, "You? You're planning on killing Katherine?"

"She's killed my brother." Stiles states.

"Let's just say that werewolf girl, Hayley, turned out to be just the thing we needed to get Klaus out of our lives for good." Katherine says smugly before looking at Stiles. "Must hurt, getting cheated on so soon after you lost your brother."

"Excuse me?" Stiles exclaims.

#####

Klaus is in New Orleans, in the marketplace, watching. He's looking for a someone hiding in plain sight. There.

Klaus smiles before he starts walking over to the table with a woman wearing a headscarf and a crystal ball set out in front of her. The moment she spots him she starts packing her things in a hurry. But she isn't fast enough as Klaus sits down on the seat across from her just as she puts the last thing in her bag.

"Good afternoon. Time for one more?" Klaus asks.

"I have nothing to say to you." The witch denies.

"Oh now, that's not very amiable, is it? You don't even know me." Klaus points out.

"I know what you are. Half-vampire, half beast. You're the hybrid." The witch spits out.

"I'm the original hybrid, actually, but that's a long story for another time." Klaus states. "I'm looking for someone...a witch. Perhaps you might be able to help me find her. Jane-Anne Deveraux."

"Sorry. I don't know." The woman says although her body language makes it clear that she very much does know.

"Well, now that's a fib, isn't it? Now you see, I know that you're a true witch amongst this sea of poseurs, so enough with the fabrications. I've quite the temper." Klaus warns.

"Witches don't talk outta school in the quarter. The vampires won't allow it. those are the rules. I don't break Marcel's rules." The witch informs and Klaus feels like he's just been hit by a truck. But there's no way...surely, it's a different Marcel.