Chapter 18

Jennie

I pop out of bed. There's a dresser by the wall with a mirror over it, and I make sure that my hair isn't too frizzy from the plane before I make my way back downstairs.

Roxanne's brassy voice rings out in the kitchen to the tune of utensils clicking and clanking. When I get downstairs, I can hear a second voice chime in: Bambam's.

"The plane ride took it out of her, that's all." he's explaining.

"If you say so." his mother chitters back at him.

I decide not to interrupt family time as the two make dinner. Instead, I make my way to the screen door and quietly start to slip out when...

"Escaping already?"

I whip around and see Lisa sitting straight-backed in one of the leather couches. She's like a giant cat, always popping in when you least expect her. She has a laptop on her lap and a pair of reading glasses on her face.

The reading glasses are a surprise and, somehow, make her look even hotter.

No! No distractions! Remember what Ren said...

"I'm going for a walk." I say. "I want to get a good look at the property."

Lisa closes her computer, puts her glasses aside, and rises suddenly. "I'm coming with you."

I pout. "I don't need a babysitter." There's that word again. Why does it seem that everyone is intent on taking care of me, like I might shatter into pieces at any second?

"No, but I might." She widens the screen door, and I slip out, with Lisa following behind me.

"How's Mina?" I ask once we're walking side by side, with our shoes kicking up dust as we walk.

"Fine." Her tone is curt, and short.

I hug my arms around my chest. I thought that Jeju was supposed to be warm; instead, a cool breeze nips through my knitted sleeves. "Are you sure? She seemed a little overwhelmed."

The corner of her mouth turns downward. "Country life isn't really our thing."

"Excuse me, Ms. Silver Spoon. What is your thing, exactly?"

"I don't follow."

"You know. Something you like? Most people have some of those." When she doesn't respond, I continue. "Okay, I'll start. I like cats. Double-stuffed Oreos. Binge-watching TV shows. Knitting." I glance over at her. "I can knit you a scarf, if you'd like."

"I already have someone to knit my scarves. Predominantly Celine or I can call Hedi Slimane up if I need a customised scarf."

"Okay, a tea cosy, then."

Her eyebrows lift. "A tea cosy?"

"Yes. So you can wrap it around your cold, cold heart."

A noise leaves her mouth and the strangest of things, it almost sounds like a laugh. She admits, "I'd like that." Her eyes flicker over me, and she adds, "Though in actual fact, you look like the cold one."

Lisa doesn't ask me if I want it; she just takes off her smoke-grey coat and hangs it on my shoulders. It's lined in cashmere, and I weave my arms through it. I try to bite back a smile. "Thanks."

The dirt path underneath us finally breaks into some sprouts of green grass. Oak and maple trees stretch their arms around us, and the setting sun flickers through the autumn leaves. The Bhuwakul property is larger than I thought, and as we weave through the trees, I hear a low gurgle.

I stop quickly and move my hand to Lisa's arm to still her as well. "Lisa. Look."

There's a small river dividing the two halves of the property. Light glints off the water as it bubbles and trickles down the rocks. On the other side of the stream, there's lush, and rich grass.

Eureka. I get an idea and tug Lisa's sleeve. "It's across the river."

"What is?"

I don't have time for questions. I'm already dashing down the hill. My boots splash across the shallow river. I hear Lisa behind me, her quick steps stuttering with bourgeois trepidation (I wonder will her nice shoes survive getting a little wet in the river?).

I climb the small hill on the opposite side of the river and scale the short fence. It drops me off at a clearing. And here... it's perfect. The grass is lush, green, and the opening is clear enough to fit an altar, a row of seats, even a small tent. Already, my imagination is running wild.

I'm winded from my sprint, but I manage to get out, "It's beautiful."