Chapter 73

Jennie

Now Mina looks like she's on the verge of crying again. These aren't the hopeless sobs from earlier, though. These are happy tears spilling down her face, and she lets out small choked laughs in between sniffles. "Yes... yes. Okay. Let's go back." She rubs her hand over her face to wipe away her tears. "I have to pick up my wedding dress."

Lisa draws her thumb over Mina's cheeks, helping her clean up, and then reaches into her pocket and puts down some cash for the check. "Let's go."

Mina goes to the bathroom to collect herself before we head out, so Lisa and I wait for her by the car. The sky is a nice, and crisp deep noon blue.

"The weather is going to be great for the wedding tomorrow." I tell her.

"Yes."

A blue jay flutters to the roof of the diner and twitters as she busies herself with her nest. I try to stay calm, but my mind is a flurry of thoughts.

"Thank you for what you said in there." I say. "It really changed Mina's mind."

"Which part?" Lisa asks. "When I gave Bambam my blessing or the part where I said that I love you?"

There it is again. Those three words don't fail to make a goofy grin burst on my lips. "Yes." I say. "Both."

"I didn't say it just for her, you know." Lisa makes sure to tell me. "I mean it."

"I know." I bite my lip. "Me too."

We linger in a small silence.

"It's not a proposal." Lisa clarifies.

"I know."

"I don't expect us to move in together as soon as we get back to Seoul."

"Wasn't even thinking about it, but it's good to know that you were."

"But... perhaps we can see each other again once this all blows over."

"I would like that." I rest my arms around my chest. Lisa stands beside me stiffly, and we listen to the morning noises of people bustling around the kitchen, birds singing back and forth to each other.

"You can say it again, if you want." I try.

A laugh leaves her. Deep, genuine. It makes my heart lift. "You're impossible."

"Yes. It's one of the things you like about me."

Lisa takes my face in her hand. And, just like that, everything else around me melts away. All I can see is Lisa and those deep, soulful eyes that seem to go on forever. She looks at me like I'm the only woman in the world. "I love you." she says, with the timber of her voice intense, and passionate.

A knot of emotion curls around my throat. "I love you too."

We tilt in together. Her lips brush against mine as she closes in for a kiss.

"There was no toilet paper, so I had use a pocket tissue. It was gross in there." Mina announces as she exits the diner. She sees us, however, and then stops. "Am I interrupting a moment?"

"Not anymore." Lisa says and straightens up briskly.

"Shall we?" I say and gesture to the truck.