Chapter 20

Jennie

"Wait... wait." I put my hand on her chest to pry her off me. "This isn't me."

She groans. "Don't tell me that you're waiting for marriage."

"I'm not. It's just..." My tongue trips me up, so I tuck my hair behind my ear and reorient. "I know that this is probably standard procedure for you..."

Her eyebrows lift. "Are you terming me as an easy person, with loose morals?"

I shrug my shoulders tight around my ears before dropping them with a sigh. "I don't... go around and have meaningless sex with the first hot person who shows interest in me. Especially not when I'm working. It's incredibly..."

"Unprofessional? Dirty? Naughty?"

With each word, she gets a little closer. I swallow. "All of those things."

"So let's not have meaningless sex."

"What do you want from me?"

Her dark eyes flicker between mine. "Everything."

Holy hell. If that's not a line, I don't know what is. I almost fall for it too as her hands slip up my dress and cup my rear.

"You're going to have to be more specific." I breathe.

Her eyebrows crumple together. "You're an optimistic, naïve, pain in the ass, but there's something about you that gets under my skin."

It's not exactly an on-one-knee kind of commitment, but her eyes are strangely vibrant, open and honest. There is not a lot that Lisa Manoban likes, so I'm contented to be one of her current most favourite things.

"I like you." I tell her. "Even if you're part-Eeyore."

"You like my tongue." she clarifies.

"Well, yes." I hooked my arms loosely around her neck, giving her no room to escape from my compliments. I will smother this grouch in so much love, if that's what it takes to get the darkness out of her eyes. "You're not a bad person, Lisa Manoban. Not as much as you want to be, anyway."

"You say that now." she says as she uses her grip on my lower back to line my body flush against hers. "But you haven't seen all the terrible things that I plan to do to you."

I lean in and brush my lips against hers. When she moves in for the kiss, I pull back, keeping myself just out of reach. I feel her frustrated sigh against my mouth, and it makes me smile.

"Then give me a taste." I whisper. "Or are you all bark and no bite, Lisa Manoban?"