Chapter 94

Jennie

The words - Happily Ever After, are drawn out in pretty, gold-finished cursive letters. They hang over Jessi's desk, a bright reminder of everything we stand for. Meanwhile, Jessi's manicured nails click rapid-fire over the keyboard.

I wait quietly in the seat in front of her desk. Out of the huge window behind her, I see the brick building across the way, zigzagging with black fire escapes. The street traffic from the Seoul streets below hiss and blare like a noisy river. Nearby, a garbage truck backs up, and I hear it bleating as it reverses. City romance at its finest. I adjust the blue sleeves of my jacket around my wrists.

"Okay." Jessi says. Her black bob flutters around her shoulders as she turns to me. "Speak."

I take in a deep breath. It's time to plead my case. "The Bhuwakul/Manoban wedding went off perfectly. Ren, Nayeon, and I pulled it together exactly to their specifications and then some. We really made it happen, especially considering the time constraints and..."

"A member of the bride's family got locked up on the day of the wedding."

"Yes, but the bride and groom had no idea."

"Nonetheless, that's a little more than a hiccup, wouldn't you say?"

"Yes, but..."

"And what's this bill for $500 of clean-up from Audrant Bakery?"

"It was just a little bit of fun between the bridesmaids, really..."

"Jennie." Jessi's expression has gone hard. "Tell me what really happened."

My shoulders deflate. I finally admit, "I got too invested and lost control of the situation."

"I see." Jessi turns back to her computer. My fingers twist and fidget in my lap, and I force them to still as she makes her decision. I finally got back into the fold of Happily Ever After, and the thought of leaving right out the gate makes my throat knot up.

"I rarely give second chances." Jessi announces. "And I certainly don't give third chances."

My heart breaks. I swallow the pain back and smile. "I understand."

If I'm getting fired, I'm going to do it with my head held high, at least. I stand up and make my move to leave. Jessi, meanwhile, turns her attention back to the screen in front of her.

"Jennie."

I turn to look at her. "Yes, Jessi?"

"Don't forget your assignment on your way out." She tilts her head to the manila folder perched at the edge of her desk.

What?

I bite my lip and try not to smile too broadly. Inside, fireworks are going off in my chest. "Thank you, Jessi."

"Don't thank me." Her eyes lift and turn on mine again. There's an inch of pride there, though she'd loath to admit it. "You've earned it."