Chapter 95

Jennie

I sling my bag over my shoulder and clutch the folder to my chest. Someone's hopes and dreams lie inside this folder, and I'm going to be damned if I let them down.

It's going to be perfect. Jennie Kim is back in business.

I leave the office space, and as soon as the door closes behind me, I take a second to breathe. I put the folder to my face and let out a repressed yelp of joy. I'm so happy, that I could dance.

I compose myself enough to step out into the lobby. There, in one of the plush seats, sits Lisa. She's wearing a thick fleece and crimson scarf to combat the brisk Seoul winter, plus she's started to grow out her hair a little, and what can I say, she's still looking every bit the gorgeous person that she is. The second she sees me, she stands. She's holding a paper bag with a bear claw sticking out the top.

"Are you stress eating?" I ask her.

"No. This is for you." She hands the sugar-covered pastry to me.

"Aww! You know me so well. You're going to make me cry."

"Don't cry." Lisa begs. "Please. I become completely useless when you cry."

I trade her my folder for the pastry and start to pick at the flaky crust. "How did it go?" she asks. She's doing her best to stay unaffected, but there's a strain of nerves in her voice.

"Read it and weep." I point to the folder. "That's my next wedding assignment."

"Well, let's take a look at it."

"No!" I tell her quickly. "I can't open it until I've had a drink at the Park Hyatt. It's tradition."

"New tradition." Lisa opens the folder and starts flipping through it. "It's a destination wedding. The Bahamas."

"What?" I quickly leap beside her to peek over her shoulder. "Holy cow. You're not kidding." I look up at her and smile. "Do you want to be my plus one?"

"I hate the beach."

"And you hate weddings."

"And palm trees."

We walk as we talk and slip into the metallic elevator waiting for us. "Well..." I sigh dramatically. "I guess you'll just have to stay here and freeze while I lounge around in my bathing suit."

Lisa stares ahead. "Your bathing suit?"

"Uh huh. I've got this really cute bikini at home... it has a little cherry bow on the chest. Not that you'd be interested."

"Oh hang on, let's not be rash. I might have to reconsider."