Chapter 91

Lisa

"Hey! Chief! I can't be in here! I have an audition in the morning!" Taehyung clings on to the bars of the holding cell like some cartoon robber. He's been shouting for the past ten minutes, and I'm starting to get a headache.

"No one's coming." I tell him from my spot on the bench. I know that I look like a mess. I've loosened my tie, at least, but my nice clothes are now dirty and dishevelled on my body. I can feel my eyebrow start to swell where Taehyung's class ring cut me. The small cell is too warm, and barren, but I could handle all of that, if it weren't for Taehyung. Who is trying to get attention, like an insane chimpanzee.

"I need to call my lawyer." He sticks his face through the bars and shouts, "I have that right! I'm injured!" He sniffs and touches his nose. "I think I broke something."

"You're right." I say, in a monotone manner. "You'll probably die here."

"Oh, shut it!" Taehyung turns on me, while sneering. "You're the reason why I'm in here."

"No. You did that to yourself."

Taehyung finally paces away from the bars. He parks himself on the single bench, sitting on the opposite side of me. "So you're Jennie's new catch?"

I say nothing. But my jaw tightens.

"Whatever... give me the silent treatment. I can see it in your eyes, the way that you look at her. I get it. She's easy to love. But take it from someone who knows, she'll never be able to love anyone, more than those damn weddings that she plans." He stares off solemnly. "She's probably forgotten all about us by now."

"You, maybe she has forgotten."

"She hasn't. And she will never ever forget about me." I can feel Taehyung's eyes boring into me. "You're forgetting that, once upon a time, Jennie and I were engaged. And she loved me. Hard... passionate... love."

The way he puts the emphasis on his words makes my fingers curl tightly around the bench until my knuckles go white. If he keeps this up, the police chief is going to have to pry me off him again. Or worst, wipe his bloody remains off these walls.

"Can you do that for her?" Taehyung continues to pester me. "Are you going to marry her? You're forgetting that Jennie is from a generation that grew up with Barbie Doll's Malibu Wedding. She's been dreaming about this crap since she was six. Did she tell you about how she used to have full wedding ceremonies for her dolls? Or how she used to sneak away to read romance novels at her Aunt's lake house?"

I confess, "We haven't known each other for very long."

Taehyung chuckles lowly like a panther's purr. "Let me guess, you're not really the hand holding type? Am I right? You can't even remember how many women that have gotten on their knees before you, but you could count on one hand how many that you've taken to the theatres to see a romantic comedy. I'm right, aren't I?"

I bite my tongue until I taste blood and say nothing.