Chapter 84

Lisa

We leave them to finish preparing and head down to the car. As I drive us closer and closer to the farmhouse, I can feel the wedding ring burning a hole in my pocket.

I'll be glad when all this is over. I'm happy for them. Truly. I am. But I'm more anxious for Mina than I thought I would be.

"How are you feeling?" Jennie asks me as elm trees fly by us on the side of the road.

"Antsy."

"Aww. Wedding jitters. Is this your first time?" She pats my thigh.

"I've been to weddings before."

"Yes, but one that you truly cared about?"

I have to think about that. "No."

Jennie's hand rests on my leg. A comforting gesture. "I've got this." she tells me. "I promise. I won't let your sister down."

"I know." Hearing her say it, however, does take the edge off some of my nervousness, and I feel my shoulders relax.

There is an army of cars outside the farmhouse. For an intimate affair, this is turning out to be quite the event. It looks like half the town is there, milling around the back of the house.

The second we step out of the truck, Jennie and I are split up.

"Lali!" I look up and see Bambam waving wildly at me. "Come on, official attendant! Suit up!"

"Go ahead." Jennie says. "I'll catch up with you later."

"Right." I almost lean in to kiss her and then stop myself.

She notices but then simply smiles. "After the wedding."

"Of course." There's enough drama brewing around this day. We don't need to throw a matchstick in the fire by making a public display of our relationship.

We part ways, and I go to join Bambam's clan. He's surrounded by his best men.

"Hey, buddy, you've got the ring?" Bambam asks.

I pick it out of my pocket and hold it up for him to see. "I told you that I'd keep it safe."

Now a big smile splits across Bambam's face. "Knew that I could count on you."

"Are you ready for this?" I ask pointedly. "Everything." The wedding. The pending baby. A future with my sister.

"I'm ready." Bambam says firmly. "I've never been readier." He looks around between his best men, throws up his arms, and shouts, "Hey, guys! I'm getting married!"

They hoot and holler their cheers. Despite myself, I join in.

Here we go.