Chapter 63

Jennie

I'm struggling to pull myself together when I get to the brunch. I'm feeling rotten about Lisa, my clothes are a crumpled walk of shame, and I'm still warding off a hangover headache. I'm a mess and I know it, but I'm here. Dedicated to the cause.

The restaurant is gorgeous, stuck underneath a plantation-style house, with ivy leaves climbing the walls. I step inside, and it doesn't take me long to find the wedding crowd. They're all positioned around a white table in the corner, being the loudest table in the room. Probably has something to do with the open bar and mimosas.

I don't get to sit down before I'm accosted. Ren grabs my arm and yanks me to the side. He has fatherly disapproval written all over his face. "You look like something the cat coughed up. What happened to you?"

"Bachelorette party." I wave him off. "I'm fine. I'm ready for this."

"No. Clearly you're not."

"It's just a little hangover, nothing that I can't handle."

"Jennie." Ren's tone is stern, and it stops me in my tracks. "I called Jessi last night."

My heart spirals and drops straight through the floor. My mouth goes bone-dry, and I can barely squeak out the words. "You... did what?"

"You didn't give me a choice." He lowers his voice. "You let the bridesmaids engage in a food fight. You got hammered with the bride. And to top it off, you slept with someone from the bride's family. What did you expect me to do?"

My jaw works, but the words can't seem to come out. "I've been busting my ass to make this wedding happen."

"I know." Ren's hand rests on my shoulder. He's sympathetic now, and the apology in his eyes is almost worse than the chastisement. "I know how hard you've been working. Which is why Jessi agreed to let you stay on the assignment." He tilts his head in a shrug. "As my assistant."

"You're... taking the wedding away from me?" I'm so flustered, my words stammer on my tongue. I'm trying really, really hard not to cry, even as my vision blurs.

Ren's eyes are understanding, but his tone is firm. "Go back to the house. Get some sleep. Change your clothes. We've got it handled from here."

"Is that an order, boss?"

Now Ren looks really hangdog. Good. He took my wedding out from under my feet. He should feel guilty. "Jennie... don't make this worse than it is."

"Maybe, next time, warn me before you stab me in the back." With that, I turn on my heel and make for the exit quickly.

I will not cry. I will not cry. I try desperately to catch my breath. As my vision blurs, I see myself standing at the altar. I'm clutching my bouquet. Magnolias. They shake in my hands. I'm standing at the altar, alone, and everyone is staring at me. A sea of sad, apologetic eyes for the bride who hasn't quite come to terms with the fact that the rug has just been pulled out from under her feet.

Standing at the altar, quietly repeating the mantra: I will not cry.

I leave the restaurant in a flurry and run headlong into a body. The collision brings me back down to Earth, and I catch my balance.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry." I start, and then my tongue knots.

Oh. Oh no.

As though I dreamed him into reality, Taehyung Kim stands in front of me. Flesh and blood. Too tall, too handsome, and every bit as debonair as I remembered. He looks down at me and that familiar crooked smile stretches across his face.

"No, Jennie." he says. "I'm the one who's sorry."

Crap.