Chapter 28

Jennie

Bambam, Mina, and I all return from our outing, covered in food from head to toe. Lisa sits on the leather couch, with her dark laptop in front of her, typing away. She's incredibly put together, dressed in nice denim pants, a white collared shirt, and a soft grey sweater. Her hair is slicked back and tamed. Business casual seems to be about as casual as she's willing to get, and it makes me feel extra sloppy with frosting stuck to my clothes. When she glances up at the three of us, she lifts his eyebrows questioningly.

"Don't ask." Mina says.

"Right." Lisa adverts her eyes back to her laptop.

We split ways, and I go to my room. Immediately, I throw off my soiled clothes and jump into the shower. I find pieces of cake and icing in my hair, wonderful. When I step out of the shower, I pat myself down with the towel and feel a sharp pain.

"Ow." I turn around and glance into the mirror. There. On my bottom, left cheek. I knew it. A splinter is lodged into my skin from yesterday when Lisa made love to me against the fence. Which was worth it, sure but this is a pain in the... well. I frown at the red skin and decide that I'll deal with it later. I pull on a nice pair of black pants and a loose-fit shirt. It has cats on it, but I only bought so many clothes with me, and I don't want use up all my nice clothes before the wedding day. As I get dressed, I text Ren.

Jennie: Supply run?

He sends back a thumbs-up emoji. Our methods of communication are clearly highly sophisticated.

My hair is still wet, so I pull it back into a simple ponytail and go knocking on Mina and Bambam's room. Bambam opens up.

"What can I do for you, girly?"

"I'm about to go see if I can find some decorations for the ceremony... are you two coming with?"

"I think we're in for the evening." He's not kidding. Behind Bambam, Mina is splayed out on the bed, with her hand on her forehead. She looks wiped. Bambam gives me a wink and says, "We trust you. Take my truck, the keys are by the door. Send us some pictures, yeah?"

"Okay, no problem." I smile. "I'm on it." I give him two thumbs up, and I'm not sure why. I blame it on Ren. I just want so badly for them to believe in me, especially after the debacle with the wedding cake. Luckily, Bambam is probably the most good-spirited man around, and he chuckles and gives me an enthusiastic thumbs-up right back before closing the door behind me.

I patter downstairs and pass Lisa on the way out. "Come on, Ms. Moneypenny." I tell her. "Time to roll out."

She lifts her eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

"You're financing the wedding, and we need to make some wedding-related purchases. We need some set pieces for the ceremony." I hang in the doorway and turn to look at her. "Or you could just give me your card, if you don't want to come with."

Apparently, the idea of giving me free rein of her credit card doesn't sit well with her because that's enough to get Lisa to shut her laptop and get to her feet. "Where are we going, exactly?"

"That's what we're going to find out." I pluck Bambam's car keys from a hook on the wall and twirl them around my finger.
"Jennie."

I've got my hand on the door when she says my name. I turn around and see her holding a me-sized jacket. It's light, powder blue, and when I touch it, it feels like suede. My eyebrows crinkle together. "This is cute. Is it Lena's?"

"It's yours."

I squint at it. "No, I don't think so."

"Yes." she argues, "It is."

It clicks. "Did you... get this for me?"

"It was either get you a jacket or a string." Lisa says. "You know. To keep you from floating off in the clouds. Because you're always stuck in your head... it was a joke. A bad joke."

One good deed and she's fumbling over her words. I can't fight the smile on my lips. "It's cute. You're cute."

Now Lisa looks like she's swallowed a handful of nails. "Put it on and let's go."

I tilt my head back to look up at the tall person as she opens the door. "You're sweet."

"The car, Jennie."