Chapter 37

Jennie

"I thought I'd invite my plus one." Lisa announces to our group. "I hope you don't mind. You know each other, don't you?"

"Oh, yes." Irene says, with a coy smirk on her lips as her eyes lock on Bambam. "We know each other, all right."

Irene steps in and Bambam pulls the girl into a hug. He looks like he's gotten the wind knocked out of him, but he grins through it charmingly. "Hell, girl, good to see you here... come on." Bambam moves aside and motions her to the bar. "There's plenty to go around."

"A woman never turns down a drink." Irene winks and sidles up next to Bambam.

Lisa steps back beside me like a shadow.

"Irene!" I hiss. "Really!?"

Lisa wears this most infuriating, and cocky smirk. "We met when I went to pay for the wedding cake. You guys racked up quite the bill."

I'm kicking myself now for mentioning Irene to her last night. "I told you about Irene in confidence." I murmur. "Not so you could use her against me. You know she's a ticking time bomb."

"I told you from the start that I was tearing this wedding down." Lisa says as she squints at me. "Don't get mad at a wolf when a wolf eats a sheep."

"You're not a wolf." I scoff. "You're just an ass. How did you get Irene to be your plus one?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean did you use your... magic Lisa tongue?"

"Did I seduce her?"

"Your words."

"No. Your words. And no, I didn't seduce her. I simply told her the truth."

"What's that?"

"That, very soon, this engagement is going to fall apart. Bambam should have someone there to pick up the pieces when it does."

I turn my eyes away from Lisa's annoying 'I win' smirk and watch Irene instead. She's matching the men shot for shot. When she laughs, she does it with her whole body, throwing her head back and leaning against Bambam. This vulture is picking apart the carcass of the wedding before it has even died.

I feel sick. "Give me that." I swipe one of the tasting cups from Lisa and down it in a single swallow.