Chapter 62

Jennie

I shift over her and wind the rope around her wrists and the rungs of the headboard. It takes only a couple of seconds, and I tie it off in a nice sturdy knot.

Lisa even tests the restraints, tugging once. The knot doesn't loosen, not even slightly. "Should I ask where you learned how to do that?"

I shrug. "I made extra money in college doing magic shows at kids' parties."

She lifts her eyebrows, though the corner of her mouth quirks upward in amusement. "I'd pay money to see that."

"You don't have to. I'll give you a free show. Like now." I reach over the edge of the bed to pick up my shoes and start to put them on. "This is the part where I disappear."

The mirth in her eyes dies. Very quickly. "What are you talking about?"

Now, I look genuinely apologetic. "I'm sorry. I really, really am. But I can't let you ruin this wedding."

"Jennie." Her jaw tightens and her voice drops to a stern growl as she yanks at the rope again. "Let. Me. Go."

I bite my lip as I get to my feet. "Really... I didn't want to do this. But you're just so... stubborn. I'm so sorry. I'll be back right after the rehearsal."

Her eyes flash angrily. "You've lost your mind."

"Mina deserves her happy ending!" Even I'm surprised by the vehemence in my voice. "And so does Bambam. And I'm not going to let you come between that."

"Jennie!" She barks my name, but I've already grabbed my purse. I leave the room quickly and quietly close the door behind me.

Sorry, Lisa. I feel bad about it. I do. I really do.

I tie my hair back in a ponytail, so no one notices quite how messed up it is.

She will thank me for it. Later. After Mina and Bambam say their wedding vows.

Nothing can come between me and the perfect wedding. Not this time.