Chapter 93

Lisa

As I exit the holding cell, Taehyung starts to follow me out. "Thank God." Taehyung huffs. "This is utterly humiliating... so unbecoming of mere peasants to lock celebrities like me up."

"Hold on there, boy." The police chief lifts his hand to stop Taehyung. "I've only got bail for Ms. Manoban. You hang tight in there."

Taehyung's jaw goes slack. He stares at us, as the door closes once again behind me.

"This is rich, Jennie." Taehyung spits. "Real petty of you. I hope that you're proud of yourself."

"Taehyung..." Jennie sighs, takes a step forward, and wraps her hand around a holding cell bar. "Just think of this, as a learning experience."

With that, she steps away. Taehyung looks like he's been slapped.

I don't care. Taehyung has dissolved completely from my focus. There's only Jennie now. Always, only Jennie. I drop my hand, and she takes it and links her fingers in mine.

"Are you okay?" she asks.

"Nothing that I can't handle."

We step out of the police chief's office and into the cool autumnal air. I'm sweat-slicked and the breeze feels good.

Jennie clutches her bare arms, and I see goose bumps start to form on her skin. "Don't you ever dress for the weather?" I ask.

She looks at me apologetically. I shrug off my jacket and drop it around her shoulders. She sticks her arms through the sleeves, it swallows her completely.

"My flight leaves tonight at eight." Jennie says. "What about you?"

"Nine thirty."

"Look at that." She smiles, but it's a sad smile. "We just miss each other."

She's distracted, looking away, and I tug her hand to pull her focus back to me. "Are you nervous?" I ask.

"Honestly?" Her eyes flicker up to me. "I'm a little worried that we'll never see each other again. I mean... the wedding is done. We have no reason to."

I glance back at her and pause at that. "You have my jacket." I tell her. "I'll have to come around to pick that up sometime."

Jennie laughs at that and tugs the jacket tighter around her. "True..." she says. "As long as I have something you need."

"You have my heart, Jennie. And I'm pretty sure that I need that." The confession leaves my lips effortlessly.

Jennie's eyes grow wide and hopeful as she looks up at me. A smile inches up her lips, and she grazes my chest with her fingertips. "I must be rubbing off on you... underneath this cold exterior, you do have a heart after all."

Enough of tiptoeing around what I want. "Hush, Jennie." I cup her face in my hand and close my mouth over hers. I lock her lips in mine hard, and passionately. This is where I belong, I tell her in my kiss. This is where you belong.

She sighs against my mouth, and her fingers cling on to my shirt. We linger for a moment, while sharing kisses and boldly tender touches out in the open.

Finally, Jennie peels back and presses her lips together thoughtfully. "We have a few hours to kill before I have to go to the airport."

"I have a few ideas about that." I murmur, with my hand resting on her face.

She laughs at that and taps her fingers as though she's playing piano against my chest. "I was thinking... we could start with coffee. You know..." She shrugs in an attempt to keep it casual. "Like an actual date. Unless you're too cool to go on regular coffee dates."

There are those doe eyes again. What is it about her eyes that melt me completely?

"There has to be a coffee shop around here somewhere." I take her hand again, while threading her fingers through mine as we walk. "Tell me everything."

"Well, I caught the bouquet. So there's that."

I stop in my tracks and stare at her. Jennie bursts out laughing.

"I'm kidding! God, you should've seen your face. Irene caught it. It's actually a funny story..."

The sun begins its descent, and the streetlights illuminate the path before us. We walk hand in hand down the street, and I lose all focus on the details of the wedding, as I fall in love with the excited patter of Jennie's voice.