Chapter 75

Lisa

By time we get back to the Bhuwakul farmhouse, there are cars covering the gravel lot. I park the truck out front, and the three of us exit and head to the house. Jennie lingers by my side, and I find that I like having her there. When we get inside, Bambam, Lena, and Roxanne are talking over the table and drinking coffee. The second Bambam sees us, however, a grin splits across his mouth. He bounds over to us and swallows Mina up in a bear hug.

"Fancy seeing you here, pretty lady."

"Fancy seeing you." The side of Mina's mouth lifts in a half-smile.

"We missed you at the brunch. Where'd you three run off to?"

"I was... craving for breakfast food." Mina says.

"Well, hell, why didn't you tell me? You know my pancakes are on point."

Mina goes sombre. She slips her hands over his chest. "Listen... we need to talk."

Bambam rubs her lithe arms. "What is it?"

Mina's eyes hit the floor. "It's just... this wedding, it's all happening so fast and..."

"You still want it, don't you?"

"Of course!" She grips his shirt. "I do, a million times over."

I watch as Bambam tucks a strand of hair behind Mina's ear. The way he's looking at her, it's as though there's no one else in the room but the two of them. "Listen..." he says, with his voice low and surprisingly serious, "I know this has been a whirlwind. It isn't easy when two people's lives collide as quickly as ours did. Especially with all the baggage that comes along for the ride. But I'll take these bumps in the road any day so long as I've got you right there next to me."

I hear Jennie sniffling beside me, and when I turn to her, her eyes are shiny and wet.

"All the bumps?" Mina asks. Her hands cup her stomach suggestively.

Bambam quirks an eyebrow. "You want to tell them?"

Mina nods rapidly, with her smile shy like a little girl. Bambam lifts his hands above his head with celebration. "We're having a baby!"

Roxanne screeches and her hands fly to her mouth. Lena's eyes go as wide as twin moons. They descend like a flock of geese around Mina and Bambam, howling and weeping. When Mina turns to me, she has fresh tears springing down her cheeks. She steps to me, hooks her arms around my neck, and presses her head to my chest. For a second, she's my little sister again.

"No more secrets." she whispers. "Starting all over, right?"

"Starting over." I agree. I kiss the top of her head. "I'm so proud of you."

Bambam flanks my side. I release Mina and clasp his hand firmly instead. "Congratulations, Bam." I say.

"Thanks, Lali."