Chapter 76

Lisa

Lali. Somehow, the nickname has become mildly less annoying.

Mina and Bambam find each other and share a small, sweet kiss. Bambam doesn't let her out of his arms the whole time. Despite myself, my chest grows warm. The bride and groom are back together. That's the way it should be.

The apology note. I remember it quickly, and without interrupting the now happy couple, I slip past them and quickly scale the stairs. I go down the hall and into Mina's room. It's exactly as I left it, with the note still perched in the middle of her bed.

Good. I have time to get rid of the evidence before Bambam sees it. I quickly pluck the note off the bed, fold it into a small square, and stuff it in my back pocket to get rid of it later.

"Still protecting her?" I glance up to see Jennie standing in the doorway, with a knowing smile on her lips.

"A protective older sibling's job is never done."

"You're going to be protective over your little niece or nephew soon." she says and steps closer. "How does that feel?"

"Bizarre."

"I think your niece or nephew will love you. You'll be the distant, scholarly, cool relative."

I lift my eyebrows. "Scholarly?"

"Yeah. Because of your glasses." She pinches them between my eyes. "They look good on you, by the way. You should wear them around more often."

"Wouldn't want anyone mistaking me for a scholar."

She's close again, in the danger zone that makes me lose all common sense around her. She's so playful, adorable, and I don't know yet if she realises quite the effect that she has on me.

"I need to see if Ren needs help getting everything ready for the wedding tomorrow." she sighs. "I'm burning daylight."

"Do you need a ride?" I ask.

She nods. "Sure. That'd be nice. I'm going to jump in the shower... meet me downstairs?"

"All right."

Jennie pushes herself up on her tiptoes and pecks a quick kiss to my lips before charging out of the room again.

If there's any part of me that's supposed to get used to that, it's not happening.

I leave Mina's room to head downstairs. I nearly run into Bambam on the way there.

"Hey, Lali, you've got a moment?"

I pause at that and nod. "Sure."

"Listen... my mum wants to take us out and buy us a round. Mina gets seltzer water, of course, but I figured that you and I could bury the hatchet over a couple of drinks."

I consider it. Dingy bar, thick smoke, Roxanne and Lena fawning over baby names. It sounds like a great time, for them. I know myself well enough to know that I'd be a chokehold on their party.

"There's nothing to bury. Really." I tell him sincerely. I extend a hand. "Enjoy your night. Take good care of my sister."

Bambam looks slack-jawed for a moment. Then that big, stupid grin spreads across his face. "Come here." he says and abandons my handshake for a full, bone-crushing hug. "I'm the damn luckiest guy around, to be able to call you, my family."

I wheeze. Christ, don't make me regret liking you. I pat his back awkwardly.

Eventually, Bambam drops me from his grip and squeezes my shoulder. He grins. "You're a good person. Thanks. For everything."

"Don't mention it." I tell him.

"Can't wait for you to hand me that ring tomorrow." He pats my chest once before heading into his room. Meanwhile, my blood goes cold.

Well, crap. The ring.

I go to Jennie's door and knock rapidly, over and over, until she answers. She blinks at me with startled doe eyes, with her hair wet.

"What is it?" she asks.

"We have to leave. Now."