Chapter 43

Jennie

"Jennie." Now I hear Ren's voice. His hand rests on my shoulder, while steadying me on my waving feet.

"That was Taehyung." I say. My voice sounds strangely flat when I hear it in my ears. "He wants to talk."

Ren turns me to face him, and his eyebrows knit in concern. He squeezes my shoulders. "Sit down. Take a breath. I'll get you some water... this looks like the kind of place that puts cucumbers in their water, extra refreshing, hits the spot, yes?"

But the thought of sitting down or slowing down for even a second gives me heart palpitations. "I'm fine. I'm great." I brush past him abruptly. "Move aside, please, I've got a wedding dress to rescue."

The bridesmaids are whispering among themselves by time I get back, and Mina is nowhere in sight. Roxanne sees me, stands, and rests her hand on my arm. "Honey, now I don't mean to be a right pain in the rear, but that dress..."

"I'm on it, Mrs. Bhuwakul." I reassure her and peel the older woman off me. I step over the stage and past the white curtains to enter the dressing room.

Mina sits on a bench surrounded by wedding dresses. She has her head in her hands, but she lifts her watery gaze when I walk in.

I offer her a warm smile. "Hey. How are we doing?"

"What do you think?" She sniffs. "Tzuyu said that I look like a mop."

I move to the rack of wedding dresses and start spooling through them. "The right dress... like the right man... can be tricky to find. I'm of the opinion that, sometimes, we don't know what we want until we've tried on other options... what about this one?" I yank out a white dress, a little longer at the hem, but with a similar cut.

Mina just looks at me with blank, wet eyes. "I designed this dress. This mess... I literally made it. With my own two hands. Usually, this is what I'm good at, but it was like every time I went to the drawing board... my mind just went blank."

She rubs her nose on the back of her hand. Tissues... there's always tissues in bridal shop... aha. I find a box resting on the shelf and hand it over to her. Mina takes a tissue, blows her nose, and then starts picking at the tissue.

"Do you think I'm crazy for doing this?" She whispers. "We barely know each other, really. And then doing a wedding like this so quickly... it's insane, isn't it?"

I crouch down and move my hands to her thighs. "Love is crazy." I tell her earnestly. "That's what it is. It's crazy and it's challenging, but when it works... it's a beautiful and wonderful thing. Do you love Bambam?"

"Well, of course." Mina whimpers as she blobs mascara from the edge of her eye.

"Then, that's all that matters. Once you find that perfect person for you... you hold on to them tightly and you never, ever let go."

Mina reaches out and pulls me into a sudden, bone-crushing hug. "You're so smart." she sobs. "What would I do without you?"

"That's me." I wheeze. "Super-smart Jennie."