Chapter 46

Lisa

I'm only half paying attention for the rest of our time in the shop. Eventually, everyone picks out a suit that fits their style and looks at least mildly uniform. When it comes to payment, I put down my card. As we walk outside towards the truck, the groom and his groomsmen are discussing among themselves what to do next. I hang back a pace.

"We'll hit up the bar." his friend says. "I'll buy. Whiskey all around."

"Aw, heck, bad idea." Bambam chuckles. "You all know that whiskey is my weakness. Once you start, you can't stop. Isn't that right, Lali?" He nudges me playfully. Apparently, he thinks that we're friends again.

I draw my lips in a patient smile. "Sure."

The boys all pile into Bambam's truck. I'm crammed into the back with two other guys. I zone out as they talk loudly, laugh even louder the whole way to the bar. If they're this loud sober, I can't imagine the noise level as soon as they get some liquor in them.

Bambam pulls his car into a gravel lot, and the tires crunch. The boys hop out. I glance around, everyone is distracted, patting each other on the back as they compare the single bridesmaids.

Discreetly, I reach into my pocket. There, I find Bambam's wedding band. The one he plans to give to my sister on their wedding day.

I roll the window down and pluck the ring out of the box. With a flick of my wrist, I toss the ring through the window and into the bushes that line the side of the road. The expanse of green flora swallows the tiny thing whole.

"Lali! You coming or what?"

"Be right there." I shut the door hard behind me and follow the boys inside.

Yeah. Try to marry my sister without that.

Good luck, stupid Bambi.