Chapter 92

Lisa

Taehyung sighs. "Jennie needs a Prince Charming, someone like me. You're nothing but a mediocre peasant, a rough piece of rebound action to get her back on her feet. She'll come crawling back to me soon enough."

"No. She won't!" I can't take it anymore. I'm nearly vibrating with rage, but I know that if I give in and take a swing at him, I'll only be confirming his theory that I'm nothing but damage and trash in a suit and tie.

Taehyung lifts his eyebrow at me. The corners of his mouth are curled upwards, waiting for my response, like this is all some hilarious joke. It's clear that he thinks he's got his boot on my neck. "Why is that?"

"Because Jennie deserves true love, not the fake lies that you peddle her with."

Jennie deserves it, and so do I.

"True love?" He throws the word back at me like it's poisoned and laughs in my face. "Holy crap, you drank the Kool-Aid. You actually believe in that shit?"

"Taehyung?"

"What!?"

"You think I'm nothing but a brute, don't you?"

He squares his shoulders and scoffs. "Yeah. I do."

"Then you don't have to worry about your audition tomorrow, because if you so much as whisper Jennie's name again, I'll pound your face in."

It's a lie, but it gets Taehyung to shut up. We don't linger in silence for too long. The bells above the police chief's office jingle as someone steps inside. Barely a minute later, Eunwoo steps down the hall and barks, "You children have got company!"

I turn my head up, and my cold heart skips a beat. Jennie is a sight for sore eyes. Her lavender dress flows from her body, and she clutches her purse tightly between her hands. When she sees me, her eyes get wide and she rushes toward me. Immediately, I stand and meet her at the bars.

"How was it?" I ask, with concern thick in my voice.

"It went off without a hitch." Jennie reassures me. She tilts her head in a shrug. "Well. All things considered."

"Mina...?"

"She has no idea. She's back at home packing for the honeymoon now. They're going to this cabin upstate that overlooks Heaven Lake... it's supposed to be beautiful this time of the year."

My shoulders sag with relief. "Thank you." I tell her. I mean it. Mina's happiness today is paramount.

Her soft brown eyes meet mine, and she smiles. "Of course. It's what I do."

"All right, Lisa Manoban." Police chief Cha Eunwoo sifts his keys until he finds the right one and sticks it in the lock, twisting the door open. "You're free to go."

I feel a pinch of confusion in my chest, and I knit my eyebrows at Jennie. "You bailed me out?"

Jennie shrugs casually, but I can tell from the small smile at the corner of her mouth that she's proud of herself. "I'm a problem solver. Haven't you figured out by now, that there's nothing I can't do?"