Chapter Two

Alice - Then

I nervously walked through the playground with my head down hoping not to draw attention to myself. I wasn't a stranger to starting at a new school but mum had promised that this would be it, no more moving around. At ten years old starting a new school part way through the final school year was not ideal. I peeked up slightly and glanced at other children running about and playing, it looked like fun. Maybe this time around I'd be here long enough to make some real friends. The bell rang out and a rush of feet scrambling across the playground took me by surprise, someone brushed past me and knocked my backpack from my shoulder. I bent down to pick it up, frowning at the puddle it had landed in. Great, just what I needed on my first day at a new school.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there. You're new here aren't you? I'm Jackson" the blonde haired boy smiled down at me as his blue eyes sparkled in the sunlight that had broken out from behind the grey clouds. I retrieved my bag and stood up, holding it in my hand so the dampness didn't get my back wet. His gaze landed on my bag and he pulled a face.
"Sorry, guess that's my fault isn't it" he offered an apologetic smile as he surveyed the wet patch.
"It's okay, I probably shouldn't have been stood in the way" I spoke softly. He seemed friendly enough, sure he'd knocked into me but he seemed genuinely sorry about it. Hopefully all the kids here would be as friendly as he seemed.
"We better get to registration, what tutor group are you in?" He asked as we walked together towards the entrance that was now crowd free.
"Umm I'm not sure yet, I've got to head straight to reception" I mumbled shyly as we entered a large corridor.
"Cool, well reception is right over there" he pointed behind me and I glanced over my shoulder to see a greying plump women sat behind a counter. "I better go, don't want Miss Baker telling me off for being late! hope you have a good first day" he smiled at me and in that moment I think that's when I felt it. My first crush, for a boy I didn't even know. I smiled awkwardly at him as I felt a slight blush rush to my cheeks. I hoped he didn't notice. I turned and bounded off towards one of the empty hallways and I turned back to head towards reception where the women was now eagerly watching me.
"Hey, you didn't tell me your name?" His voice startled me as I turned back around to see him stood at the end of the hallway flashing me his friendly grin. I couldn't help but smile back at him.
"Alice" I called back to him as I continued to smile like we were old friends.
"Nice to meet you Alice" he offered a little wave before her turned and raced down the hallway out of sight. I stood in a daydream for a few seconds, silently praying I'd get to see him again today. I could do with making some friends and something about him already made me feel that he was someone who would be worth having around.

"Alice? Alice Walker is it?" I was pulled from my daydream by the receptionist. I turned and returned my attention to her as I approached the desk.
"Uh yes, that's me" I half whispered, my shyness taking over once again.
"Ah lovely. We've got one of your classmates waiting to give you a little tour of the school and then after she will take you to your class where you can meet your teacher Miss Baker and the rest of your classmates"
Miss Baker, did that mean I was in the same class as Jackson? I hoped it did. Maybe this was going to be a good day after all.

"Hi I'm Penny" a girl with mousy blonde hair and green eyes smiled at me from a seating area I hadn't noticed. "I'm going to be showing you around" she beamed at me, clearly eager to welcome me.
"Hi, I'm Alice" I smiled back at her, trying to let my new positive mood continue through my initial nervousness.
"Come on let's get going, you can tell me a bit about yourself as we walk" she gestures towards the main entrance that I had just come through.
"Isn't this the way out?" I asked apprehensively
"I thought it would be best to start at the beginning, walk you through the school from the start" she gazed down at my bag which I was still clutching in my hands. "Here, let me give this to Mrs Anders to look after whilst we take our tour" she took the backpack from my hands and headed back to reception and handed my bad to the women, Mrs Anders I presumed.
"That's better, don't want to be lugging that wet thing around with you. Come on let's go" she linked arms with me and guided me out of the building. Part of me thought I must have woken up in the twilight zone, I'd never been to a school where I'd been so welcomed on my first day. First Jackson and now Penny. I had a good feeling about both of them.

Then and Now: Always yours जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें