Chapter Eight

Jackson - Then

We'd just dropped Alice back home and I had to admit she may of had a point when she said my dad was acting a bit weird. He was asking more questions than usual at dinner and usually he is happy for me to walk Alice home but for some reason he insisted on driving her back tonight. We pulled up at home and I followed dad into the house. There had been an uneasy silence between us on the journey back and I didn't like it one bit. I headed into the kitchen to clean up the mess from the cake decorating when I felt my fathers gaze on me. I turned to see him watching me from the doorway.
"Son come and have a sit down with me for a minute" his expression looked serious and I was sure nothing good was going to come from this conversation. I followed him into the living room and sat down on the sofa as he sat in his armchair.
"Is everything okay?" I asked innocently.  He gave me a concerned smile and I knew right then that he knew something.
"Jackson I need to ask you about Alice. I know the two of you are close and you know I care for her, she's a sweet girl" I felt dread build up in the pit on my stomach as he spoke. "But son I can't help but feel concerned at the amount of time she's been spending here lately. Is there anything you want to talk to me about?"
So maybe he didn't know the details, maybe he was just worried that we were getting to be more than friends, which was completely not the case.
"Dad we're just friends if that's what you're worried about" I held my head in embarrassment.
"I know Jackson, that's not what I meant. What I mean son, is there a reason why she's spending so much time here? Is everything okay at home?" He face was full of concern and I hated lying to him but I had to for Alice's sake.
"Nothing dad honest, her mum just gets busy with work so she likes to hang here that's all" I lied again, hoping he'd believe me.
"I was hoping you'd be honest with me" he shook his head in disappointment "but I can understand you want to protect your friend"
I stood from the sofa in dismay "dad I am being honest" I pleaded with him to believe me.
"Son stop lying. I know the truth, this is a small town and people talk. Besides, I saw Alice's mum at the store earlier. She was drunk and the sales assistant was refusing to sell her a bottle of vodka. She was causing quite the scene"
Shit, I hadn't banked on that. I guess the cat was well and truly out of the bag now.
"Dad I'm sorry, I promised Alice I wouldn't say anything"  I held my head I shame knowing I'd been caught in a lie.
"How long has this been going on?" He asked calmly and this time I didn't dare lie.
"On and off for as long as I've known her" I admitted as I returned to my seat on the sofa.
"And her dad isn't in the picture?"
I shook my head "no, she's never met her dad. He didn't want to be in her life I guess"
I watched my dad as he sat back in his chair and let out a sigh. I knew this was putting him in an awkward position.
"Dad she's my best friend. If anything happens to her mum then Alice will be taken away too" I pleaded in desperation.
"Let me think on it son, but this can't continue. Alice needs a parent and if her mother isn't going to be there for her then something needs to change"
I knew what he said made sense but I couldn't bare the thought of losing Alice from my life. Once she found out that my dad knew she'd probably never talk to me again but it wasn't exactly my fault that he found out so I'm sure she'd come around with time. I hoped she would at least.