Chapter Twelve

Jackson - Then

I was in my room finishing off my history homework when my dad called out to me
"Jackson come on in here"
I was right in the middle of my work and I really didn't need the distraction right now. "Just a minute dad, I'm just finishing up this paper" I called back.
"You're going to want to see this son" he called back. Now I was intrigued, what could be so important that he didn't care if I left my homework unfinished. I hit save on my computer and made my way to the kitchen where my dad was waiting. As I walked down the hallway I called out to him "what's so important dad, I've gotta get this essay finished..." as I rounded the corner into the kitchen I stopped dead in my tracks and a smile instantly filled my face.
"Alice!" I gushed in surprise as I rushed over to engulf my friend in a hug. "When did you get back? Why didn't you tell me?" I questioned as I hugged her some more.
"I wanted to surprise you. I got home a couple of hours ago" her brown eyes shone with joy. It had been a year since I'd last seen my best friend. What was supposed to be a summer turned into a much longer stay with her aunt than we had anticipated. Her mums initial rehab stint didn't go too well and when the new school year started it was decided Alice would enrol in a school in Scotland. We'd hoped she'd be able to come home by Christmas once her mum was settled back in at home but Alice's aunt thought it would be better to make sure Mrs Walker was settled at home and work before Alice returned. Then it just seemed to make more sense for her to finish out the school year before returning home. I'd been asking her for weeks if she knew what date she'd be coming back but she kept saying she didn't know yet. Guess she wanted to surprise me and it had certainly worked.
"I'll let you kids catch up, you wanna stay for dinner Alice?" My dad offered with a smile.
"Umm actually my mum wanted me to invite you both for dinner at our place" she smiled sweetly and I looked over at my dad who looked slightly taken aback.
"I promise she's okay now, and it's just pasta so no chance of her poisoning us...hopefully" she joked as I chuckled along with her. Alice's mum wasn't much of a cook or so Alice had told me. I shared my lunches with her through most of our school life and I can't remember the last time I'd even had dinner at her place.
"Sounds lovely Alice, we'd love to come" my dad answered for the both of us. "I'll give your mum a call now and see if there's anything I can bring, dessert maybe?" Dad smiled as he wandered off to get the phone.
"I can't believe you're back, I've missed you so much" I wasn't ashamed to admit to her how much I'd missed her. We spoke online most days and on the phone at least once a week but it wasn't the same. A thought suddenly popped into my head. "Come with me"
I headed back to my room as she followed behind me, she stood watching as I began to rummage through my desk drawers. Where was it? As I moved some books out of the way I finally came across what I was looking for.
"Here, this is for you" I smiled as I stretched out my hand and watched as she took the small fabric bracelet from my palm. Her eyes shone with emotion as she put the bracelet on her wrist.
"Thank you" she whispered as I involuntarily fiddled with her bracelet that I wore on my wrist. I'd not taken it off since the day she gave it me.
"I told you I'd make you one" I smirked as she pulled me into another hug
"You don't know how much this means to me Jackson" she held me tighter than she ever had before and for the first time something between us felt different.