The Real Player

"You're Ayako's friend, right?" I beamed. I think I saw her frown, but she immediately hid her expression and smiled back, "Yeah, she's home."

"Oh, I see." I tried to sound disappointed. Why, of course I wanted her to think I was missing Ayako.

"So um," Her voice suddenly changed. "What are you doing here, at this time?"

"Oh. . . I am just taking a walk. Didn't Ayako tell you I love to take walks?" I lied. She suddenly felt annoyed. My guess was right, there wasn't something right between those two. Maybe they just recently fought over something.

"Uh, no. Anyway." She quickly changed the subject, "Mind me joining you?"

"Not at all." I smirked. This was unexpected. I didn't expect Jackie to betray her friend so fast.

We started out slowly, walking along the broad margins of the park. There was an awkward silence between us. Suddenly, Jackie opened her mouth to say something, but then shut it tight. She gulped and stopped in her tracks.

She then let out a sigh. "Let's go towards the fountain." She said. I guess she was bored of strolling around.

"Yeah sure, Jackie."

The silence didn't end until we reached the fountain in the center of the park. The splishing and splashing sounds couldn't be unheard. The crystal clear water was filled with coins. Couples stood beside, making wishes. I glanced at Jackie. What were her intentions? What was she upto?

"Quit staring at me like that. And I'm not here for what you think I am."

I was silent, it was best not to say anything.

This girl is unpredictable, best I stay mute and observe.

"I'm here to talk about Ayako." She ended. Leaning beside the railing separating us and the water, she took a deep breathe in.

"Ahh, I see. Something up between you two?" I said.

"Not between us, it's between you two."

I gave a confused expression.

"Uh...Between us?"

She nodded. "Didn't that blue haired freak talk bad about Ayako?"

What the--? What information is she trying to get outta me?

"I don't know what you're talking about." I simply stated.

"Hmm, so you're saying that you definitely did not meet a guy in a cape--who was possibly spying on you?"

"What?" I said, after a long pause. She giggled.

"Okay, I know how much of a shape shifter you are, Jayden. But I bet if you're acting this time, then I swear."