30. Rosie on Parole.

Rosie was given one pair of blue jeans and three long sleeved shirts that used to be Maggie and Beth's older brother's. She felt guilty taking them, knowing that their brother was one of the walkers that was killed outside of the barn, but Daryl insisted, saying she'd get sick if she didn't wear warmer clothes.

The jeans were a bit too big, so David's belt became more of a necessity than just an accessory used to hold her knife when she wanted. Daryl asked if she wanted to see if anyone had a different one, but Rosie declined his offer, saying that she wanted to wear it.

Knowing that the belt was with her, in her hands rather than her father's, made her feel different about it.

It's mine now, Rosie thought to herself, and I will use for only the purposes belts are made to be used for. It won't hurt me anymore.

So, Daryl used his knife to poke an extra hole so the belt would fit around Rosie's small body. The belt was made for a grown man, after all, so getting it to fit a nine-year-old girl required some adjustments, but Rosie insisted.

The new rule Rosie was told to follow was that she had to stay within Lori's eyesight at all times until Randall was either gone or dead, and if she failed to follow that rule, she'd be banished to the living room couch, not allowed to leave the room- bathroom breaks being the only exception.

As Daryl walked Rosie back outside to where Lori was, she looked up at him, raising her eyebrows a little. "Daryl," she said.

"What?" Daryl grumbled.

"I don't think Rick should kill Randall," Rosie said, pressing her lips together.

Daryl signed exasperatedly. "It ain't up to you. The adults are takin' a vote tonight, and whatever they decide is what's happenin'," he said.

"But-"

"We're not talkin' 'bout this no more," Daryl said, quieting her immediately. Rosie growled in frustration, tossing her head back in complaint. Daryl rolled his eyes at her. "Yer a real pain in the ass," he muttered.

They made it over to Lori and Rosie reluctantly sat down on the bench across from her. She groaned when Lori placed a math book on the table in front of her. Rosie looked up at Daryl, hoping he might change his mind, but he just walked away.

Damn it.

Daryl went back to his tent, tossing the extra clothes from Maggie on top of Merle's sleeping bag- which Rosie had been sleeping in. He didn't mind having her stay in his tent, she was usually pretty quiet. Sometimes she'd ask questions before going to sleep or mumble things as she slept, but it didn't bother him.

What bothered him was when she did stupid shit that put herself in danger, like going to see Randall again, even after she was told not to. It wasn't like her to just disobey like that- especially having grown up with a father like her own- so when she blatantly did the opposite of what she was told to do, he knew something was off about the whole thing.

He didn't understand why it bothered him so much. He should have just yelled at her and been done with it, but instead he asked why. And he couldn't even tell himself why he was asking why.

Daryl Dixon didn't give a shit about some kid or why she decided to disobey. He didn't give a shit whether or not she was too cold or didn't have enough clothes. He didn't give a shit if she used to have a brother. He didn't give a shit about anything.

But for some reason, he did.

Something was changing. And he hated it.

He climbed out of the tent, grabbing a few of his bolts. He glanced to his right, having heard footsteps, and saw Dale walking towards him. "Whole point of me comin' up here is to get away from you people," Daryl scoffed.