38. Mixed Emotions.

The sun went down and the group built a small fire in the center of the yard. Rick was walking the perimeter of the fence, checking for any compromises, while Daryl was standing on top of a tipped over bus, keeping watch.

Rosie sat on the side of the bus, dangling her feet off the edge as she ate whatever was cooked up over the fire. She had sat around the fire with the others for a few minutes, but ended up leaving because she suddenly felt overwhelmed by everything and needed some space.

The problem she was having was that she couldn't shake the thought that this place wasn't going to be safe. They thought the Atlanta camp was safe, but it wasn't. They thought the CDC was safe, but it wasn't. They thought the farm was safe, but it wasn't. There was a reoccurring pattern and Rosie couldn't help but think that the pattern would continue.

When Rosie had come to join Daryl on the bus, sitting down without a word, Daryl glanced over at her, but seeing as she didn't say anything, he didn't say anything either. After a few minutes, though, his curiosity got the best of him.

"Why aren't ya over with the others?" he asked, stopping his pacing to stand behind where Rosie sat.

"Just thinkin'," Rosie said with a shrug. Daryl felt like they'd had this conversation a thousand times over. He'd ask what was wrong, she'd say she was just thinking, and then he'd basically have to pry her thoughts out of her. He just wanted her to be clear with it.

"'Bout what?"

"What if the same thing happens again?" Rosie asked, looking up at him.

"Then we keep goin', find a new place. But I don't think it will," Daryl replied. He sat down on the edge of the bus next to her and stole a small piece of meat off of her plate.

"Why?"

"This place has fences, walls. It's protected."

"So ya really think it's gonna be safe?"

"Nothin's really safe no more, but I think it'll be safer than the farm," Daryl answered truthfully. He knew that if he told her a lie, saying that this place was totally safe and they'd 100% be fine, she wouldn't believe him for a second. It was better to be honest with her.

Rosie nodded, somewhat satisfied with his answer. She was going to ask more questions, like if they were just going to stay in the yard or if they were going to go inside, but then she saw Carol approaching with a plate of food in her hands. Daryl stood up to help Carol climb up onto the bus and took the food from her hands.

"It's not much, but if I don't bring you something, you won't eat at all," Carol said. She pulled her sweater tighter around her body.

"Yeah, I guess little Shane over there has got quite the appetite," Daryl said before dropping a piece of meat into his mouth. Rosie gave him a questioning look, but Daryl didn't notice.

Little Shane? Why would they call Lori's baby little Shane?

Carol smiled and scoffed a little. "Don't be mean," she said. That also confused Rosie, but she kept quiet anyway. "Rick's gotten us a lot farther than I ever thought he would, I'll give him that." Daryl hummed and nodded in agreement. "Shane could never have done that," Carol said. She rolled her shoulders back awkwardly.

"What's wrong?" Daryl asked.

"It's that rifle. The kickback. I'm just not used to it," Carol said. She lifted her hand to rub the point where her shoulder and neck met.

"Hold on," Daryl said after a moment. He dropped the plate down and it made a small clanging noise next to Rosie. She stole a piece of meat off of Daryl's plate in return for the one he stole from hers. When she looked back up, Daryl was rubbing Carol's shoulders. Weird, Rosie thought to herself. "Better get back," Daryl said after a moment, dropping his hands back down to his sides.