113. A Horrible, Stupid Plan.

Rosie climbed up and out of the tunnel, Ian following right after her. When they got up to level ground, they dusted the dirt off of themselves. Just when they were done with that, they looked up to see Daryl walking over to them with long and quick strides. Rosie tugged on the hem of her shirt.

"Hey, where the hell'd ya think you were goin'?" Daryl scolded as she stopped near the two kids, his words directed at Rosie. Rosie kept her gaze on her shoes, not answering.

"I was wrong. She wasn't leaving. She was just hiding," Ian explained after a moment of waiting for Rosie to answer for herself. He smiled a little bit. "I found her, though," he said, somewhat proud of himself. Daryl gave him a quick nod of appreciation, but now he was wondering what Rosie had done to make herself think she had to hide because of it. At least she didn't run away this time. "Um, see you later, Rosie. Sorry," Ian apologized one more time for snitching on her before walking off to leave Rosie and Daryl alone. He'd only snitched on her because Henry was still missing, and the last time she left on her own, she got shot and almost died. He didn't want her to be in danger again, even if she got mad at him for snitching.

Daryl looked at Rosie, expecting some sort of admission of breaking a window or maybe punching someone. She hadn't done either of those things in a long time, but things were getting hard again, so it wouldn't be unexpected for her to act out. Surprisingly, though, Rosie didn't say anything, run off, or anything like that. She just sniffled and stepped closer to Daryl, leaning her forehead against his abdomen and keeping her gaze on the ground.

Confused, Daryl furrowed his eyebrows. He looked down at her and tapped her chin so she'd look up at him. When she did, her blue eyes were all watery and her face was a bit red. She'd been crying. "You a'right?" Daryl asked her, still confused. Rosie wiped her eyes with her sleeve and nodded, but Daryl still seemed very concerned and confused. As a silent explanation, Rosie reached into her back pocket and pulled out the letter, showing it to Daryl. He took it, reading her name on the front. It took a moment for him to realize who it was from, but when he did, he understood. He gave her the letter back and she slipped it back into her pocket. Rosie then wrapped her arms around him and closed her eyes, taking deep breaths to try and calm her emotions. "Ya wanna talk?" Daryl asked, his hand rubbing up and down on her back. Rosie shook her head, just savoring the comfort of the hug.

"Ezekiel!" a young voice shouted. Rosie let go of Daryl and turned around to see who was shouting. The gates were closing and Carol had just walked through them. A few feet ahead of her, Henry was running toward Ezekiel. He ran to Ezekiel, who enveloped him in a relieved hug.

A heavy weight seemed to be lifted off of Rosie's shoulders as Henry returned to the Hilltop, alive and safe. Henry was ok. He wasn't dead and Rosie didn't have to feel the guilt of having left him there, in the Saviors' pen, all by himself. If Henry had died, out there on his own, because Rosie left him alone in the pen, then she wouldn't know what to do with herself. She would've been no better than Siddiq. She would've been the cause of a boy's death. Daryl ruffled Rosie's hair before pulling her into his side. Together, they walked over to Carol, Ezekiel, and Henry.

"Henry," Rosie said quietly, once they got close enough for Henry to hear her. He looked over at her, pulling away from his hug with Ezekiel. "I'm sorry for leavin' you there," Rosie said.

"It's ok," Henry said, his voice sincere. Rosie felt another weight lifted. "They were trying to take you. You had to run."

"Yeah," Rosie murmured, looking down at her shoes. It was quiet for a moment, neither of the two kids knowing what to say. "Um, I'm glad you're ok," Rosie eventually settled on saying.

"Thanks," Henry replied, giving a weak, tight-lipped smile.

"C'mon," Daryl said after a moment, saving Rosie from the awkward, I was almost the cause of your death silence. They walked together towards Barrington House. "I gotta talk to Rosita. You go put that letter in your bag. Don't wanna lose it," Daryl said. He was right. Losing that letter would more than likely tear Rosie's heart to shreds. She nodded. Yes, I'll put it in my bag. "Get somethin' to eat after," Daryl told her as he held open the door to Barrington House for her.