Chapter 2.

[Edited]

--

Prod . . .

I watched as the paramedics took her away. I stood next to a police officer who continued to ask me question after question. I couldn't even answer him. . . I was completely NUMB. All I could think about was Ashley and our son, Christian. How would he take this? He's only four. .

Another thing I couldn't stop thinking about was the car and the men in it. THEY killed my wife. THEY ruined me. It's because of THEM that my son doesn't have a mother anymore.

Should I look for them? I mean, the police are already on the case and have warrants out but. . . that just wasn't enough for me or my son. We needed them dead. . . So they could close their eyes and never be able to wake up to face this earth again. They needed to feel the same pain I felt.

That's what I'll do. . .

"I'm very sorry for your loss, Mr. Crippen, we'll do everything we can to find the men that did this to you and your family." The cop said, shaking my hand.

I nodded, sighing deeply. "Thank you for everything."

I walked to my car, slouching my back into the seat. I stuck my car key in the ignition and sighed heavily, looking over at the passenger seat. Suddenly, thoughts of Ashley crossed my mind; How she smiled at me, how she kissed me, how she fit perfectly into my arms when I held her. Every little moment.

I laid my head down on the steering wheel, tears falling from my eyes. I can't handle this. . . I couldn't accept the fact that I wouldn't wake up to her face every morning. I wouldn't be able to hold her, kiss her, touch her and her how much I loved her. . . None of that was possible anymore.

Wiping the tears from my face, I turned my car on and pulled off. I drove to my mother's house. The police already called her and let her know about Ashley, along with her own parents. I could only imagine how they felt about this whole thing. Their baby girl was gone. . . And I didn't do anything to stop it.

I pulled up to my mother's house and parked my car. I walked up to her house and knocked on the door, sighing heavily, preparing myself for her tears. My mother answered the door, sadness evident on her face.

She pulled me into a hug and sobbed lightly. "I can't believe she's gone."

It took everything in me not to cry in front of her. After her and my dad divorced back when I was in high school, I became the man of the house and one thing I didn't do was cry. .

I held her in my arms, letting her release her emotions. She looked up at me and I wiped the tears from her eyes. Seeing her so broken was killing me inside. I'll admit I'm a mama's boy. I hated seeing my mother cry.

She settled herself and let me into her house. "Chris is upstairs. He just had a bath. . . He should be up."

I made my way to the steps, until she called my name. "What are you going to tell him?" She asked.

What could I say? His mother is gone.. forever.

"I don't know, ma." I sighed. "I honestly don't know. . ."

I ambled up the stairs, walking into my old bedroom. Christian was sitting on my small bed, watching Finding Nemo. When he say me, his face lit up. "Daddy!"

He ran over to me and I picked him up into my arms. He wrapped his little arms around my neck and squeezed tightly.

A small smile grew on my face. "Hey little man."

"I'm going home?" He asked, his big eyes wandering to the TV.

"Yeah." I said, putting him down. "Go her your bag."

"Where's mommy? Is she in the car?" He asked, eagerly looking over my shoulder.

"Chris, go get your stuff." I urged.

I could tell he wasn't sure why I wouldn't answer his question, but I had no intentions on telling him that his mother had died just an hour earlier.

"Is mommy at home?" He asked, looking up at me with his bag in his hand.

I knew he was worried by the look on his face. Even though, he was four he wasn't dumb and he knew when something didn't sit right.

"You got all your stuff?" I asked, helping him with his jacket, putting it over her pajama top. He stuck his arms through the arm holes.

"Yeah." He said quietly.

We left the room, making our way downstairs. My mother was sitting on the couch, bitting her fingernails while a box of tissue sat on the coffee table.

"Say bye to grandma." I said.

Christian slowly walked over to her, with a sad look on his face. She opened her arms and he walked into them. She squeezed him one last time and he walked back over to me.

"Bye mama." I pulled her into a hug as she sighed. "I'll call you tomorrow, okay?" She nodded, releasing me from her grip.

I grabbed Christian's hand and walked out her front door. The humid night air stuck against my skin, instantly making me uncomfortable. Suddenly, a black car rode slowly down the street. It sparked my memory and I automatically knew where the car was from. . . I stopped in my tracks, eyeing the car down as it passed. Christian looked up at me unsurely as his grip tightened.

"Daddy. . ." Christian trailed.

I looked down at him and continued to walk to the car. I opened the back door while Christian climbed into his carseat. I buckled him in tightly when I felt a presence behind me. I looked over my shoulder to find an empty neighborhood.

I wanted to tell him but I couldn't. I wanted to tell him that his mother wouldn't be here anymore and that his daddy was going to kill the stupid bastards who did this. He wanted to say something.. But he couldn't.

~

Vote, Follow and comment! Comments are nice :) tell me what you think! Thanks for reading.

- McKenzie.